Monday 17 December 2012

TVB 45th Anniversary Awards (2012)

Currently watching it in the UK, haven't cheated by looking at the results so here is my first hand reaction.
note: there seems to be less people coming this year, don't know why.


Lifetime Achievement Award - Liza Wang
She had to get it sometime so not shocked.



Most Improved Female Artiste - Mandy Wong
Can't believe they still tried to give Eliza more screentime by making her look like the 2nd favourite. urgh... it was obvious Mandy was getting it if she didn't I would revolt!



Most Improved Male Artiste - Oscar Leung
Where was Edwin? I'm very happy Oscar got it, though I would have wanted Him but both were my favourites this year. Very happy for Oscar but still I want to know where Edwin was because I thought he was a favourite? Did he not come because he knew he wasn't getting it?

I kind of knew Oscar and Mandy would win it right when I saw their positioning. From positioning it also looked like Nancy and Power would get it.

When King Kong mentioned this has been his third consecutive year in this category I just thought to myself - stop complaining look at Tavia she was nominated in this category even after she won it in 2003. That must be the biggest insult to her and she is the only artiste to have been nominated in this category for 4 times.



Best Presenter - Maria Luisa Leitao
Haven't watched the show but it was obvious she'd get it. Very happy she now has recognition from TVB after many years in the industry. Loved her teary speech.



Outstanding Artistes Award - Chin Kar Lok, Benz Hui, Sunny Chan, Henry Lee, Dodo Cheng
Cool, it's good that TVB is giving this award for a reason rather than as a pork award but then is this like a young lifetime achievement award? 
Benz was so funny. 
Very happy for Sunny as well but shouldn't TVB consider him for Best Actor first?
Very happy for Henry, it's great they are awarding these green leafs who have done so much for TVB.
And wow they awarded Dodo! Happy for her and I love how surprised she was.

Probably the most meaningful awards of the night.






My Favourite Female Character - Kate Tsui (Highs and Lows - Pat)

I agree Kate should win this as her character has gotten such good feedback. Very happy that Kate has finally got the support from the audience you could see she was actually very happy for the award unlike others who might think this is a sub award meaning they might not get the Best Actress/Actor.



My Favourite Male Character - Kenneth Ma (The Hippocratic Crush - Yat Kin)

Yet again a deserved win but I do hope it means Tavia and Raymond win the other two awards. Very happy for Kenneth.



Best Supporting Actress - Nancy Wu (Gloves Come Off)
2nd - Mandy Wong

I am extremely happy Nancy finally won it! She really deserves it and winning so many other awards definitely helped boost her chances. I'm shocked that Mandy came in 2nd. I'm very happy for Mandy but if I'm honest she is not ready for this award. I'm saddened Elena left empty handed again because this has happened to her for three years in a row, considered but not recognised.



Best Supporting Actor - Koo Ming Wah (Divas in Distress)
2nd - Power Chan

Well it was always between Koo Ming Wah and Power Chan and in the end I thought it could go either way but I thought they would give it to Power since there was more reason but I guess TVB gave it to the popular vote.


*When they were interviewing Eliott Ngok he said something like this is his first time being nominated (can't remember because I was distracted then) but does he not remember being nominated in 2009 for Gem of Life?

Best Information Programme - Pilgrimage of Hope



Best Variety Programme - Map of Happiness



Best Actress - Tavia Yeung (Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles)
Top 5 - Michelle Yim, Charmaine Sheh, Linda Chung, Kate Tsui

When they all came out to talk it sounded almost like they were vying for Miss Hong Kong! I was very happy for her she really deserves it. It was not only her performance this year but her overall performance throughout her career which deserves recognition. It was quite funny when they panned to Him Law all emotional (for probably 10 times!)



Best Actor - Wayne Lai (The Confidant)
Top 5 - Damian Lau, Moses Chan, Raymond Lam, Kenneth Ma

This is like the nth time Moses has made the Top 5

In all honesty I'm very disappointed. The Confidant was not Wayne's best performance by any means, it's very disappointing that Hong Kong voters decided to give this to Wayne rather than Raymond, Kenneth, Damian or even Joe! It means that he equals Gallen's feat.
Quite funny that Mingpao's poll had Wayne last but he won!



Best Series - When Heaven Burns
Top 3 - The Confidant, The Hippocratic Crush, When Heaven Burns

I really can't say much as I haven't watched this properly but this has really been the series with the biggest impact this year despite the awful ratings. The Hippocratic Crush was probably the 2nd best despite Witness Insecurity being the highest rated.



Overall this was probably one of the best overall outcomes of TVB but I feel really sorry for Raymond Lam for not winning anything as he's now on only one series per year. Amazingly the seven main awards went to seven different series! When Heaven Burns, The Confidant, Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles, Divas in Distress, Gloves Come Off, The Hippocratic Crush and Highs and Lows!

2 comments:

  1. I noticed you don't post often, but I hope you read my recommendation to watch Daddy Good Deeds. I think you might be the kind of blogger to like this series. I admit some might not like the first episode, but it goes by really fast. I suggest you watch at least five episodes to get a good idea of whether you like it or not. If you don't have time, you don't have to watch it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days I haven't had much time or reason to post, I'm focusing much more on polishing off my big posts such as the awards and music shows. I'll try Daddy Good Deeds sometime and possibly right a review here.

      Delete