Saturday 6 March 2010

A Chip off the Old Block


A Chip off the Old Block started off strongly I thought, I loved the camaraderie of the tenants and the funny moments but the series lacked a sense of direction I thought and the ending was rather lackluster and rushed. The idea for this series was interesting but I don't think the writers did it much justice anyway here is my nominations.

Best Actor
Sunny Chan
Though Sunny didn't really perform amazingly I found his acting more solid and more mature compared to his previous roles. He started off strongly I thought but waned a bit towards the end of the series (and in fact he was at times slightly annoying).

Best Actress
Myolie Wu
I really do think Myolie deserves a spot in my nominations with her performance. I think she portrayed the era of the series so well and it didn't actually feel forced. Her performance I think is one of the highlights of this series.

Shirley Yeung
I've upgraded Shirley to leading lady status because I think she had just as much (or even more) screen time as Myolie Wu. She is one of my nominees simply because I thought her portrayal of both her characters especially her modern character was striking, totally different from what I'm used to with Shirley. She put in a strong performance which deserves to be rewarded.

Best Supporting Actor
John Chiang
I decided to award him because I was watching "The Threshold of a Persona" with this series and seeing John Chiang be comical (compared to serious) is something I don't think I expected him to do well. He really made his character believable and that's why I nominated him.

Best Supporting Actress
Gigi Wong
I warmed to Gigi's performance in this series, something I didn't expect. She was a strong support for the main characters and it was quite amusing watching her in her role.

Mandy Wong
I loved her so much I'm nominated her for this as well. (You'd understand when you read further).

Best Couple
Shirley Yeung and Ron Ng
I think the main reason for Shirley and Ron making my list is because of Shirley, I loved the small segment of the series when Shirley had a crush on Ron. Though the relationship got a bit boring and flouncy towards the end I thought it was a decent part of the storyline.

Most Improved Actor
No Nominees

Most Improved Actress
Mandy Wong
Her portrayal was awesome! If only she had more screen time - TVB, give her more work now!

Favourite Male Character
No Nominees

Favourite Female Character
Shirley Yeung
NGAU WONG MUI! - enough said

Breakthrough Performance
Mandy Wong
She was memorable even with such a small role, loved it when she was basically blind without her glasses and would talk to a clothes line rather than her sister (mistaking the two)...

Best Chemistry
The Tennants

Most Annoying Character
The 4 servants!
They themselves weren't annoying but because they had to voice over themselves so many times (and there voice overs were awful) I had to put them in!

Louis Yuen
JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment