Tuesday 30 August 2011

US Open 2011 Day 1

MEN'S DRAW SECTION 1 TOP HALF
Dolgopolov and Gasquet, the two seeds that played, both made straight sets wins. Ivo Karlovic beat Fernando Gonzalez quite simply as well whilst Kei Nishikori retired two sets down. The Djokovic/Dodig section will be played on Day 2. Gasquet is still my pick to push through to the 4th Round.

MEN'S DRAW SECTION 1 BOTTOM HALF
Monfils, Berdych, Tipsaveric and Granollers all went through in straight sets. No shocks here. All the unseeded matches went to four sets or more. My picks here are Tipsaveric and Monfils.

MEN'S DRAW SECTION 2 TOP HALF
The first seed out in the men's draw is Viktor Troicki, he fell in five sets to Alejandro Falla. I wasn't convinced Troicki could make the 4th Round for starters. My pick here was Radek Stepanek. Though I do think Tommy Haas has the potential to make the 4th Round, in fact all of those four do. Whilst the one possible slight shock above is Dudi Sela beating Thomaz Bellucci. Not really a shock but I did tip Bellucci here. Whilst many thought Ryan Harrison would knock out Marin Cilic, me NOT included. Instead Harrison imploded. Stepanek and Federer are my picks here.

MEN'S DRAW SECTION 2 BOTTOM HALF
The Tsonga/Verdasco section will be played on day 2. The other matches here were quite predictable with Mardy Fish producing an impressive display. Here my choice is Tsonga and Fish.


WOMEN'S DRAW SECTION 3 TOP HALF
The main shock on Day 1 was the loss of Petra Kvitova. She hasn't been as sharp since winning Wimbledon losing to Andrea Petkovic twice in relatively simple straight sets. I already did a little individual post on her shock lost considering Alexandra Dulgheru hasn't been in great form either. The main benefiter from this is definitely Agnieszka Radwanska as she looks to make the QF at least. I didn't post this beforehand but I'd probably have put Kvitova Vs A. Radwanska as the most likely fourth round matchup.

WOMEN'S DRAW SECTION 3 BOTTOM HALF
No shocks here really but I do applaud Heather Watson for pushing Sharapova to three sets. My choice here would probably have been Shuai Peng Vs Maria Sharapova

WOMEN'S DRAW SECTION 4 TOP HALF
No shocks here. Both Marion Bartoli and Samantha Stosur made it through in straight sets. Maria Kirilenko had a scare against Ekaterina Makarova and will face another Russian in Round 2, Vera Dushevina. My picks here would probably have been Bartoli vs. Stosur despite Petrova's improved form.

WOMEN'S DRAW SECTION 4 TOP HALF
Yet again no shocks here but a huge congratulations to Laura Robson for making the 2nd Round, she has the potential to get to the third as well. I really wouldn't know who to predict between Cibulkova/V.Williams/Lisicki. I would chose Zvonareva on the other side because she doesn't have a difficult draw.


BIGGEST LOSS OF THE DAY: Petra Kvitova

No comments:

Post a Comment