Saturday 16 January 2010

Australia Open Women's Draw

Serena is the first seed in the women's draw with a possible match up against Petra Kvitova is the 2nd Round, this should be a nice warm up for the defending champion. Carla Suarez Navarro had a dream run to the QF's last year beating Venus along the way but she has faded since then so I wouldn't put too much hope on her. I'm not too sure on who'll be Serena's most likely 4th Round opponent. The educated decision would be Samantha Stosur, out of the 8 she's got the best record here, but I think Stosur tends to buckle under home pressure in singles.

Prediction: Serena Williams VS (Lisicky or Stosur)

Will Ana Ivanovic ever return to her Grand Slame winning potential? I don't think so, therefore I'm leaning towards Vera Zvonareva taking this group. Am I being too optimistic though? Vera did retire last week mid match 3-3. Victoria Azarenka will probably be her 4th Round opponent with a small possibility of Elena Vesnina I'd say. It'd be interesting to see how far Kimiko Date Krumm gets, she lost in the first round last year but she arguably has an easier draw this year.

Prediction: Vera Zvonareva VS Victoria Azarenka

Caroline Wozniacki is the 4th seed - wow already! I don't see that much opposition. Daniela Hantuchova has a decent record here but she's just been on and off recently. I hope Na Li will pose a threat seeing she beat her at the Medibank International!

Prediction: Caroline Wozniacki VS (Up in the air)

Agnieszka Radwanska has an awkward record here: 2r, QF, 1r. I wonder how she'll fare this time. Will Melanie Oudin make a statement in Australia as well? I don't know. She does however have a simple first 3 rounds I'd say. Venus Williams will be facing Lucie Safarova in the first round, potentially a difficult match. If she gets through that there should be an easy road until the 4th round. To be honest I do think if Caroline wants to get deep into the tournament she's got a relatively easier draw up against her.

Prediction: Agnieszka Radwanska Vs. Venus Williams

This draw is the most interesting I'd say. Elena Dementieva comes from a win this week to be one of the possible frontrunners in this tournament but alongside she has Justine Henin to fight off - in the 2nd round! Why is the draw so harsh to Justine! Though Justine made the final in her first tournament back sshe didn't play any current Top 10 player so it'll be interesting to see how she fares against an in form Elena Dementieva. Jelena Dokic made the QF's here last year whilst Alisa Kleybanova made the 4th Round last year also, losing to none other than Jelena Dokic! This time around they'll be facing each other in the 1st round! eek! That's aa shame. Difficult to say who'd win.

Skip one quartet and we have Yanina Wickmayer - what'll happen! Anna Chakvetadze or Flavia Pennetta could be her 2nd round match - why is this draw so tough! Flavia and Justine have it bad here!

Prediction: Elena Dementieva (sorry Justine!) VS Yanina Wickmayer (Sorry Flavia!)

On the other hand Kim Clijsters has a much easier first few rounds with Nadia Petrova a potential threat - however she's lost in the 1st round in both tournaments this year already!

Skip another quartet and we reach the Svetlana et Anastasia's quartet! Three Anastasia! Well 2 Anastasia's and 1 Anastasija! I remember Svetlana doing badly recently so I'm not convinced with her

Prediction: Kim Clijsters VS (Inclined to say Svetlana but not going to. Rezai, Govortsova and Pavlyuchenkova potential threats)

Jelena Jankovic is in the 4th Quarter with a relatively easy draw - she did however lose to Agnes Szavay at Medibank, Agnes being a fallen potential star in my opinion.

But seeing how a lot of the seeds dropped at Medibank I'm not sure if the Australian Open will be that straight forward - I expect to see at least 2 big names dropping before the 4th Round. Alona Bondarenko did win last week so maybe she could pose a shock! I hate to say this but I think Marion Bartoli may make it! aaaahhhh! Hopefully Jie Zheng will show her the way out.

Prediction: Jelena Jankovic Vs. Marion Bartoli

Maria Sharapovaa against Maria Kirileno - sob, two of my favourite players up against each other in the 1st round :(. Anyway I'm actually predicting Sharapova to lose before the 4th Round. I just think Sharapova will have a slow but steady comeback rather than an easy road. She'll probably make the Top 10 this year but I doubt she'll make the Top 5. It's unwise to predict Dominika Cibulkova doing well as she lost 4 straight matches before she retired for the 2009 season, she did however beat Svetlana at Medibank before losing to Azarenka.

Kateryna Bondarenko could be a threat to Dinara Safina but besides that I think Dinara Safina is safe for the first 3 rounds

Prediction: Dominika Cibulkova VS Dinara Safina

QF
Serena Williams Vs. Victoria Azarenka
Caroline Wozniacki Vs. Agnieszka Radwanska
Elena Dementieva Vs. Kim Clijsters
Marion Bartoli! EEEKKKK Vs. Dominika Cibulkova WOW!

I'm being unpredictable here!

No comments:

Post a Comment