Sunday 4 September 2011

US Open 2011 Day 6

MEN'S DRAW SECTION 1 & 2
Djokovic continues to move through the draw with his next opponent being Alexandr Dolgopolov. In the bottom section both top seeds Berdych and Granollers retired whilst trailing their opponents. Federer and Monaco both took four sets to beat their opponents Cilic and Haas respectively. And finally Tsonga moved swiftly past Verdasco who will next play Fish. So this is how the fourth round looks.

Djokovic (1) VS Dolgopolov (22)
Tipsarevic (20) VS Ferrero
Federer (3) VS Monaco
Tsonga (11) VS Fish (8)

So I got 5 out of 8. Instead of Dolgopolov I chose Gasquet who lost to Ivo Karlovic. Instead of Ferrero I chose Monfils who lost to Ferrero in five sets and finally I chose Stepanek who retired against Monaco.

For the QFs I think it would be
Djokovic (1) VS Ferrero
Federer (3) VS Tsonga (11)

WOMEN'S DRAW SECTION 1 & 2
Wozniacki and Kuznetsova both won in straight sets. Their next opponent could potentially be Petkovic who will next play Carla Suarez Navarro. Serena Williams stormed past Victoria Azarenka so I'm not convinced anyone in her section of the draw could beat her. She next faces Ana Ivanovic who should be pretty simple. Jelena Jankovic continues to disappoint as she loses to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova who now faces a very shaky Francesca Schiavone.

So the draw looks like this for the women's 4th round.

Wozniacki (1) VS Kuznetsova (15)
Petkovic (10) VS Suarez Navarro
S.Williams (28) VS Ivanovic (16)
Pavlyuchenkova (17) VS Schiavone (7)

Niculescu VS Kerber
Peng (13) VS Pennetta (26)
Kirilenko (25) VS Stosur (9)
Lisicki (22) VS Zvonareva (2)

There are a lot of difficult matches to predict here. Wozniacki has been strong in the past at the US Open but she generally falls against power players like Kuznetsova. I wouldn't like to predict this match but at the moment I think Kuznetsova edges it.
Whoever wins there should face Petkovic.
I think there's no doubt in my mind or anyone's mind that Serena will beat Ivanovic. The question is who will face her in the QFs Pavlyuchenkova or Schiavone? I edge towards Pavlyuchenkova but probably only by 60/40.
Niculescu Vs Kerber and Peng Vs Pennetta should be 50/50, I really can't decide in either match but Pennetta does have a strong record here.
Finally I think Stosur will beat Kirilenko and then I think she'll face Lisicki who will beat Zvonareva in a rematch of the French Open but with Lisicki pulling through.

BIGGEST LOSS OF THE DAY Victoria Azarenka (though it was predicted)

No comments:

Post a Comment