Tuesday 22 June 2010

Wimbledon 2010: Day 1

It has been a while since I posted about tennis matches mainly because I've been really busy with school work these days but I try my best to blog my opinions on Grand Slams at least. Sadly I wasn't able to watch any of the matches yesterday because I had a 2h30m exam which left my hand feeling detached from my arm but I did get to read all the juicy info and was quite shocked!

I can't believe Alejandro Falla came so close to beating Federer in the 1st Round, now that would have been the shock of the century! Despite Federer's slightly weaker form I did think he was going to win this Wimbledon because nobody else looked particularly good but after that performance I may have to think twice. His next two rounds should pose no threat, if they do then people should really be concerned.

In fact I think the only challenge Federer should have is if he books a quarter-final meeting against Tomas Berdych. Jurgen Melzer is doing well and is scheduled for a match with Federer in the 4th Round but I don't think Melzer has the means to beat Federer on grass. Or he could go against Feliciano Lopez who knocked out Nadal at the Aegon Championships and has always favoured grass but I'm not sure Lopez is capable of beating Federer.

The group contesting for a quarter-final place against Federer isn't looking particularly strong. I'd say the group is led by Tomas Berdych as Nikolay Davydenko's up and down 5 set performance against Kevin Anderson was not something you'd see from a potential winner. Besides Berdych I don't see anyone else plausibly threatening Federer in that group. Sad to see Tursunov lose in an easy three sets though.

I applaud Djokovic for fighting through those 5 sets, he has a losing record against Olivier Rochus so it was a tougher match than the ranking would suggest. But still 5 sets is 5 sets, people like Roddick and Hewitt will not be any easier and if Djokovic struggled against Rochus I'd hate to see what Hewitt and Roddick can do to him. Djokovic should be able to get through his next two rounds but Taylor Dent does have experience of getting to the 4th Round here.

Marin Cilic was a shocking 1st Round exit for me, is he injured? It wasn't even too tough a match. Marin hasn't lost in the 1st Round of a Grand Slam since his debut year in 2007 so I'm utterly shocked to be perfectly honest. Sad to see Bernard Tomic lose, he's one of my favourite youngsters but he was against Mardy Fish so he did a good job nonetheless. Andy Roddick looked in great form as well, he shouldn't be threatened by anyone until the Quarter-finals I'd say.

Seeds that fell include the Spaniard Tommy Robredo (Federer's third round opponent on seed), Stanislas Wawrinka and Ivan Ljubicic.

On the women's side the bottom half of the draw began the proceedings. Kim Clijsters had a comfortable win and so did Justine Henin, a very possible 4th Round match up between the two unless Nadia Petrova or Maria Kirilenko have anything to say about that. Yanina Wickmayer on the other hand took 3 sets to beat Alison Riske an American youngster so I wouldn't put her chances high. She will be up against fellow Belgian Kirsten Flipkens in the 2nd round. Jelena Jankovic will be pleased to hear that yet again her toughest opponent, rank wise, is failing at the other end - meaning she has a much easier route to the Quarter-final, like in most Grand Slams she has played in. Jankovic was drawn against Bondarenko and Wickmayer in Roland Garros also. (and in fact against Bondarenko in the Australian Open!) However I doubt Bondarenko will be a threat after her 3 setter against Katie O'Brien. This could be the year for Jankovic to break the 4th Round - in a year where she doesn't deserve it. Interesting to see Eleni Daniilidou back though, even though she lost in the 1st Round.

The biggest shock, seed wise, was the loss of Francesca Schiavone in the 1st Round, this just goes to show how shocking her win at Roland Garros was and to be perfectly honest I don't think that many people will remember her win in 5 years time. She obviously feels that she could relax now and just play casually after winning a Grand Slam, despite her denying it. However the loss of Francesca Schiavone has left the door wide open for Marion Bartoli, if you follow my blog you know I don't like her. I don't see any potential threats besides Yaroslava Shvedova against Marion Bartoli making the quarter-final.

Sorry but why does Ana Ivanovic's 1st Round loss amuse me. It amuses me how this one time champion is now struggling to even get to the 2nd Round. Case of bloomed too young. No particular shocks in this part of the draw with Venus leading the way in a decent line up which includes a dangerous 2nd Round match up against Ekaterina Makarova who won in Eastbourne - Venus better watch out!

Shocking, upon checking the rankings to see how much Francesca Schiavone will fall after this week, which isn't much, I found that Jelena Jankovic was No.3 in the world! She shouldn't be there.

Finally I just want to lament on the falling of the British players. Elena Baltacha, our greatest hope of making the 3rd Round in the women's draw blew it by losing to Petra Martic. Melanie South was thumped out by Regina Kulikova and Katie O'Brien fought but to no avail against Alona Bondarenko. Of course Laura Robson lost in a valiant two sets against Jelena Jankovic. We keep on talking about hope in the women's game but I really hope this "hope" comes soon as Heather Watson is getting older and older and Laura Robson still has a few years to go. Now we only have Anne Keothavong, who will play against Anastasia Rodionova, and Heather Watson, who will play against Romina Sarina Oprandi. Both beatable I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment