Wednesday 23 June 2010

Wimbledon 2010: Day 3

Well today history has been made, well in fact tomorrow is when it will be set. I was left in awe from the Mahut/Isner match - in all honesty I think it should have went on for a bit longer but I won't go into that here. 59-59, that's the 5th set scoreline. The 5th set is currently 7h06m long, that's like the length of 3 decent matches. The whole match has lasted, I think, 10 hours! I'm rooting for ISNER!!!!!!

In other news, Roger Federer continued his rather unsteady performance by beating Ilija Bozoljac in 4 sets, now most would say I normally over-exaggerate when Federer doesn't look in great form but if he takes 4 sets against Ilija Bozoljac I honestly believe he's going to have a tough time against Clement, Lopez or Melzer then Berdych. Neither of those 4 have looked particularly strong here but neither did Bozoljac, who took 4 sets to beat Nicholas Massu, and the 4 I've mentioned are better all better players than Bozoljac. I'm beginning to see Federer losing in the quarter-final against Tomas Berdych (or even a 4th Round loss to Feliciano Lopez).

Davydenko lost in straight sets to Daniel Brands, I don't think that's particularly shocking as Davydenko's first round performance and his form all suggested that he wasn't going to make it far. Djokovic beat Taylor Dent and will now face Albert Montanes but more worryingly is Lleyton Hewitt's continued good form. Andy Roddick also made it through albeit in 4 sets.

The only slight shock in the women's draw was Shahar Peer's loss, though in the grand scheme of things I doubt many people noticed it. Kim Clijsters continued to look good. She will face Maria Kirilenko, a great player, but her record here is simply abysmal - her best performance is getting to the 2nd Round. Justine Henin will play against Nadia Petrova, which will be a tough match. Nadia has made the quarter-finals in both the Australian Open and Roland Garros this year, she also made the quarter-finals in 2008 and 2005 here at Wimbledon so she's no pushover - beware Justine. I hope I get to see a Clijsters/Henin match again as every time they've played since their comeback it has been fantastic - albeit Kim has won every time.

Jankovic continued to look sloppy in my opinion and I wouldn't be shocked if she gets knocked out in the next two rounds but knowing Jankovic she could potential crawl through. Whilst Bartoli really has very little to worry about now as the last seed in her part of the draw has been eliminated. Not saying that the players in her section aren't good but I think Bartoli will beat them - sadly. This means it's most likely we'll see a Wimbledon 2007 rematch between Venus and Marion, but I don't think this match will be any good, it will most likely be a one sided affair with Venus winning.

Won't be able to see the end of the Mahut/Isner match tomorrow as I'll be at Bath the whole day :(

No comments:

Post a Comment