Wednesday 30 June 2010

Wimbledon 2010: Day 8

I managed to watch 3 matches but sadly missed Venus' shocking loss to Tsvetana Pironkova. What shocked me most about that loss was that it was a straight sets victory, not how anybody would expect Venus to lose by at Wimbledon. There were a few precursors suggesting that Venus may not make it to the finals but we all assumed her draw was simple enough for her to coax along. With Pironkova's victory we now have an unexpected final including either Pironkova or Zvonareva; who beat Kim Clijsters. I was expecting Kim Clijsters to win but I always saw the potential of a Zvonareva win instead, however this must mean Serena Williams will take another Wimbledon title as the other 3 semifinalists are truly shocks. I managed to see the last few games of the Kanepi/Kvitova match and oh my god did Kanepi choke. 4-0 in the third set but in the end she lost it - this must have been her best chance ever to make the semifinals.

I really hope the final is Serena vs. Vera because anything different would just be too awkward. This has been a shocking Wimbledon for the women's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment