Wednesday 2 June 2010

Roland Garros: The Final 4

This years Roland Garros has been shock after shock. I must say though, the shocks aren't that difficult to comprehend but it's still depressing seeing a favourite lose out to somebody that has never made it that far. The men's final four is anchored by Rafael Nadal and last years finalist Robin Soderling. Tomas Berdych and Jurgen Melzer have done really well to reach the semis, they have definitely performed well.

I think the first shock was Juan Monaco losing to G. Zemlja, Juan Monaco normally does Ok on clay so I was shocked he lost in the first round. Jurgen Melzer beating David Ferrer in three sets was another huge shock for me, that's when I realised Jurgen could threaten Djokovic making the final 4. Fernando Verdasco losing to Nicolas Almagro was another huge shock for me, whilst I thought Almagro would be a tough match for Verdasco I was really gearing up for a Verdasco/Nadal match. Finally I must say Fernando Gonzalez losing to A. Dolgopolov was totally unexpected.

Other early but not particularly shocking defeats were Andy Murray (he was lucky to beat Gasquet and he never really looked great in his next two matches) and Andy Roddick (whilst the player he lost to was shocking he was being pushed far by some relatively low ranking players).

Roger Federer losing to Robin Soderling was shocking, so was Novak Djokovic losing to Jurgen Melzer but there was always something inside me that thought it could happen. Now I truly want a Soderling/Nadal final as I really doubt Berdych will beat Nadal but Soderling has a chance. Of course a Berdych/Melzer final would be perfect for me - lol.

On the women's side I'm left rooting for Elena Dementieva. I fear Jelena Jankovic will win her first Grand Slam, I really don't think she should win this Roland Garros.

Henin losing to Stosur was shocking but Stosur did have a great pre Roland Garros run so it was foreseeable. Dinara Safina losing in the first round was not that shocking but seeing her lose so early in the draw was somewhat sad to see. Radwanska and Azarenka also. That left a shocking 4th round match between Jarmila Groth and Yaroslav Shvedova. Perfect final would be Stosur Vs. Dementieva for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment