Sunday 6 February 2011

Tennis ATP & WTA Week 5 Results (31/01/11)

Haven't really been following the tennis this week, the Australian Open drained a lot of my energy! lol. But anyway some unexpected wins and defeats this week. Remember I said I didn't mind if a Croatian player won the Zagreb Indoors well I wasn't expecting it to be Ivan Dodig when there was Cilic and Ljubicic in the draw. Marin Cilic lost to Mayer in the QFs whilst Ljubicic lost to Dodig also in the QFs.

At the SA Tennis Open Kevin Anderso won. He was one of many potential winners imo as the field was quite week. However Janko Tipsarevic, who I thought would compete for the title, lost in the first round to Jesse Huta Galung! 

Finally at the Movistar Open, which isn't finished yet, Santiago Giraldo will face Tommy Robredo. David Nalbandian lost early so did Juan Monaco - the top two seeds.

Now onto Fed Cup. Italy beat Australia, predictably, though it was a much easier defeat. Flavia Pennetta won both her rubbers whilst Schiavone beat Stosur but lost to Groth, which means Stosur lost both her rubbers. They also lost the doubles so the final score was 4:1.

I don't think Russia and Frances tie is finished yet but oh my god Russia is disappointing massively. They are currently tied at 2:2 and here was me thinking Russia would win 4:1. Sharapova and Kuznetsova both lost their first rubbers but Pavlyuchenkova and Kuznetsova's second rubber allowed Russia a fighting chance in the doubles.

Something that did go my way. The Czechs beat Slovakia 3:2. Hantuchova lost both her ties whilst and it didn't really matter after that as the Czechs already had an unassailable 3:0 lead. Safarova could therefore retire without concern against Cepelova, don't know if it was actually an injury or her just thinking "what's the point we've won already!"

Belgium dumped the US to the trash, they win 4:0 with the doubles abandoned I guess.

That means next round it will be Italy Vs Russia/France and Czech Republic Vs Belgium. Whilst the teams are not decided yet I doubt there will be many chances. I think the finals this year will be Italy Vs Belgium. Kvitova could be challenging for the Belgians but Safarova should be ok. Whilst with how Russia played this week I can't see the powerful Italians not making it into their 3rd consecutive final.

UPDATE: Just saw that Russia won the doubles.

In World Group II as I predicted Spain beats Estonia 4:1 with the sole win from Kaia Kanepi. Also predicted the 4:1 win by Germany against Slovenia with the sole winner for Slovenia being Polona Hercog.

As predicted both the other ties were much tougher, both aren't currently finished but both are at 2:2. Jovanovski won both her ties but her team mates lost.

Whilst the Sweden Vs. Ukraine tie Kateruna Bondarenko won both her ties - when did she drop to 107 in the rankings?

I doubt any of the World Group I teams need to worry in the playoffs unless Serbia draft in Ivanovic and Jankovic.

In other news Britain beat Denmark 2:1, though they lost to Switzerland. I guess Caroline Wozniacki wasn't enough to save the Danish team who featured an unranked player and two players outside the Top 500. Whilst Belarus was on form winning all their rubbers 3:0 and will now have a chance to go into World Group II.

UPDATE: And Ukraine win against Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment