Sunday 13 February 2011

Tennis ATP & WTA Week 6 Results (07/02/11)

Sorry I'm getting lazy again, I swear I'll do my best to continue these updates until at least June - because in June I'll be going to Hong Kong and having a big laze fest!

Anyway Soderling won at Rotterdam, his finalist opponent? Tsonga. So where was Murray? He lost in the first round! Whilst his opponent was Marcos Baghdatis losing in the first round after his 3rd consecutive Grand Slam Finals loss may mean he has lost a bit of confidence, we'll see if he can bounce back in his next effort. By on large this tournament went very well for the seeds and nothing too shocking occurred (besides Murray's loss of course).

Fellow No.1 seed Nicolas Almagro won at the Brasil Open beating "the dog" Alexandr Dolgopolov. Dolgopolov has definitely found fame and form after his Australian Open stint, watch out for him in the future.

Finally looking to cap a 3way for the No.1 seeds is Fernando Verdasco at the SAP Open. He'll play Milos Raonic, another Australian Open stunner, in the final. However the story of the tournament, for me at least, is definitely Del Potro making it to the SFs. He hasn't looked at all good since his return but maybe he's starting to find some form now beating Lleyton Hewitt 6-2,6-3. Whilst Hewitt seems to be on the down it's still an achievement to beat a former No.1 at his state, players like Verdasco will have to wait till later.

Clijsters seems to be developing a routine of making finals, this is her third finals in as many tournaments this year, I really do hope she doesn't dominate the tour this year as currently I don't see anybody that could realistically stop her from staying at No.1. Yes she may lose finals but she'll rack up a hell of a lot of points if she makes every final of every tournament she plays in!

As predicted the triple threat of Wickmayer, Kvitova and Petkovic all made it to the QFs, of course then there would be a PK of either Wickmayer or Kvitova but Petkovic lost to Bethanie Mattek Sands - she is starting to produce quite a few shocks this season (Sharapova had already withdrawn). Kvitova is becoming the in-form player of the year, I wouldn't be shocked if she jumps into the Top 10 this year either after beating Clijsters 6-4,6-3.

Another shock winner in the form of Daniela Hantuchova won the Pattaya Open. Just as I was about the write her off my "too-watch" list she comes back with a win. I'm sure I read somewhere that she has a much better record in Asia, I wonder why?

As I said Zvonareva had to look out for Shuai Peng, they had a tough 3 setter but it was Hantuchova who beat her, in straight sets as well. Zvonareva loses her reign at the open, she won this tournament the last two times - just like Marin Cilic a few weeks ago. Sara Errani also made the finals, she was one of the players I thought would be a threat in the bottom half.

Sorry no pictures again, I'm becoming lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment