Tuesday 18 January 2011

Australian Open Day 2

Now that all the first round matches have been played who else have fallen at this early stage?

Ernests Gulbis is in that list I'd say. Whilst not a title contender I thought Gulbis would do relatively well, however I forgot to mention Benjamin Becker. I don't know much about him but I always seem to see him causing a few minor shocks.

Whilst Lleyton Hewitt's defeat wasn't necessarily a shock I just wanted to say he played very well against Nalbandian and it was a great match. The lead kept on changing between the two. Sam Querrey also lost continuing his poor form.

On the womens' side Ana Ivanovic and Alexandra Dulgheru fell to lesser known opponents. It seems Ivanovic has reverted back to her poor form. Other seeds that lost in the 1st round were Aravane Rezai and Daniela Hantuchova.

But to me the more shocking loss was Davydenko's who will probably now be out of the Top 30.

Whilst I'm here I just wanted to say how bad I feel for Dinara Safina. Last week she lost to Bartoli 6-0,6-1 you thought it wouldn't get any worse but she got double bagled by Kim Clijsters, the first former No.1 player ever to receive a double bagel at a Grand Slam since the Open Era (according to Wikipedia!) Personally I think Dinara should just go into some smaller tournaments and work her way back up as she is clearly not ready to tackle the Top 10 yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment