Tuesday 25 January 2011

Australian Open Day 9

Everything went smoothly for the favourites, I guess I just wanted a shock result. Wozniacki beat Schiavone in 3 sets whilst Na Li trampled all over Andrea Petkovic. I think the SF between Wozniacki and Na Li will be something like Wozniacki's match with Schiavone. I would love to see Na Li make the final and potentially win her first Grand Slam.

In the men's draw both Federer and Djokovic beat their opponents in straight sets - wow! I thought Berdych and the in form Wawrinka could pose a stronger threat but Djokovic beat Berdych 6-1, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 - pretty straight forward whilst Federer beat Wawrinka in a simple 6-1,6-3,6-3. I hope Djokovic will beat Federer because I don't want to see Federer Vs Nadal.

As the singles draws are thinning out I thought I'd talk a little bit about the doubles and junior draws. In the men's doubles all the Top 8 pairs besides the 7th seed made the QFs! I'm sure that hasn't happened in a while. Whilst on the women's draw the Top 3 seeds plus the 12th seed have made the SFs. I'd like to see the No.1 seeds Gisela Dulko and Flavia Pennetta face the No.12 seeds Maria Kirilenko and Victoria Azarenka. In the mixed doubles yet again a plethora of unseeded pairs made the 3rd round except for the 2nd and 3rd seeds and potentially the 4th seed.

Going down to the boys draw I have not heard of a single one of them but I'm glad to see a British player make the third round, George Morgan - he is also the 4th seed. No British girl is that far in the girl's draw but Jennifer Ren did make the 2nd round. Whilst in the Boy's Doubles No.1 seeds George Morgan and Mate Pavic are in the QFs - go George! But Jennifer Ren and her partner lost in Round 1 in the girl's doubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment