Friday 21 January 2011

Australian Open Day 5

Some big shocks in the women's draw came today on the first day of 3rd Round matches. Justine Henin lost to Svetlana Kuznetsova, now I know Henin had an elbow injury but I still thought she was going to be able to beat Kuznetsova but I guess Kuznetsova is finding form again - unlike her countrywoman Dinara Safina. Venus Williams also retired, only playing one game. It's such a shame that Venus retired because we didn't get to see Sharapova Vs Venus.

That leaves the top draw with Caroline Wozniacki, who beat Cibulkova in straight sets, against Anastasija Sevastova. This is the first time Sevastova has made it to the 4th Round but I doubt she will be able to conquer Wozniacki though she did beat Yanina Wickmayer. This will surely be Wozniacki's time to make the QFs here.

Kuznetsova will not have Schiavone to contend with. Schiavone has had some sloppy matches against players ranked far below her, namely Rebecca Marino and Arantxa Parra Santonja so the favourite for this match must be Kuznetsova.

In the third match Andrea Petkovic will play Maria Sharapova. I am not sure how this match will unfold as Andrea Petkovic hasn't play a tough opponent yet (as Venus retired one game in) whilst Sharapova took three sets to beat Julia Goerges. I think Sharapova will win here but whether it will be an easy or tough match will depend on her form on that day I guess.

Finally Na Li will play Victoria Azarenka, in what I hope will be the most interesting (but underrated) 4th Round match on the top half of the draw. Both players have yet to drop a set and even if you didn't know how good both could be their seeds speak for themselves, the 9th seed will play the 8th seed. I really don't know how this will turn out but I would love if either of these two made the final (or if not Sharapova).

On the men's side there weren't any shocks. Tomas Berdych managed a straight sets defeat against Richard Gasquet and will now play Fernando Verdasco. This should be a good match.

Whilst Djokovic was given a quick win by Troicki who retired losing 6-2. Djokovic will play Nicolas Almgaro next. I think he should proceed safely to the QFs where a tough opponent awaits.

Andy Roddick took 4 sets to beat Robin Haase whilst Stanislas Wawrinka defeated Gael Monfils in straight sets. Whilst I would love if Andy Roddick could play Federer it seems Wawrinka could in fact beat him before that could happen.

Finally Robredo will face Federer, I don't think there is much to contest here. I was more shocked that Xavier Malisse lost so easily to Federer because he seemed to be playing OK.

Rankings wise after the start of the third round matches we will see Venus probably dropping to 7th in the world as Stosur and Schiavone will most overtake her whilst I don't see Azarenka or Na Li overtaking her as both will need to go very deep into the tournament. Justine Henin will lose loads of points from her finals appearance last year and will most likely drop out of the Top 30! I really do hope Justine gets back into the Top 10 soon along with Sharapova.

No comments:

Post a Comment