Sunday 8 February 2009

ATP Rotterdam, Costa do Saulpe and San Jose

Ok next week the big guns will be back with Rotterdam being the main attraction. Nadal and Murray are the obvious attractions here but there is also a slur of the best French players; Tsonga, Monfils, Simon, Gasquet etc. Besides the many french players there are also a few of my favourites like Tursunov, Berdych, Lopez, Youzhny and Ancic. The draw seems to be filled with many interesting players but I just can't seem to deviate from either Nadal or Murray winning - hope there will be an absolute shock in the finals. Personally however I doubt Tsonga will prove a problem for Nadal nor do I think Tomas Berdych could topple him over after his Aussie win - I would however like to see him against Gael Monfils because it would be the battle of the muscles! I just wonder if my favourites Mikhail Youzhny and Feliciano Lopez could do any better here with such a strong cast of players. I'm also interested to see how Mario Ancic fares because he's in the finals this week in a relatively weaker draw.
I'm not as interested in the Brasil Open as predictably it is full of South American and Spanish players - actually besides the unamed qualifiers there are only 3 non S.American, Spanish or Portuguese players.
Andy Roddick is the top seed at San Jose. Ernest Gulbis the guy that everyone is talking about will likely be playing Roddick in the second round. I like both of them but I think Roddick will win. Haas will also be around that area of the draw, he just seems ever present nowadays. The next two quarters of the draw are less interesting to me with only Ginepri and Blake standing out for me. Then we have Hewitt, Nishikori and Del Potro stuffed into one section of the draw which should be interesting. Looking forward to see how Isner fares here because it seems so long since I have seen him in a draw - unless I have totally forgotten about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment