Sunday 15 February 2009

Week in Review (8/2/09)

Generally I was extremely pleased with how events turned out in Rotterdam with most of my favourite players doing better than expected, the only exception was Richard Gasquet but let's not dwell on that. Youzhny finally showed some form which made him a contender for the Top 10 a few years ago whilst Ancic also made a mark even if he was to be dumped out by Murray in the semis. But anyway the final will be contested between Murray and Nadal.
Robredo won in Brazil whilst Fish and Stepanek will compete for the SAP Open title. To think that these two are in the final is slightly unbelievable to me considering there was Roddick, Haas, Blake, Hewitt (OK a much weaker Hewitt), Del Potro and I have to add Nishikori, but I hope Fish will be triumphant as Stepanek gets on my nerves these days; maybe because since he started dating Nicole Vaidisova she became bad, lol.
On the WTA side I was totally dissapointed that Serena withdrew, I hope it doesn't effect her next week whilst I have to congratulate Amelie Mauresmo for beating Jelena Jankovic. She has been so strong this week losing only 7 games in her first three matches that she purely deserves her win. Dementieva Vs. Mauresmo should be interesting then. On the other hand it does look like Jankovic is starting to fall backwards - maybe a World No.4 is on the horizon.
And as expected Vera Zvonareva won the Pattaya Open, though I would have loved to see how Cibulkova fared. Sania Mirza also showed signs of a comeback though I reserve judgment on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment