Sunday 20 March 2011

China Palace, Excel West

Today we visited China Palace, I haven't been there in at least 4 years so I really wanted to revisit the place. Once inside I did not recognise it at all, I suspect they have had a refurbishment but I didn't like the decor one bit. I remember the old decor was much more distinctive and interesting compared to what it is now, anyway onto the food.

My dad was feeling uncharacteristically peckish today so we ordered 6 dishes, which made me a bit ill of food! We ordered Siu Mai, Xiao Long Bao, Egg Yolk Bun, Japanese Style Seaweed Rolls, Scallop Cheung Fun and Stir Fried Beef With Ho Fun.

The Siu Mai was actually very nice though the presentation was a bit... naff! However, in essence, the Siu Mai had everything a Siu Mai should have and some more. The Xiao Long Bao yet again was delightful but the presentation was rather poor with the skin looking very dried up, however it tasted quite nice with the soup scalding hot and a touch of wine added. The Egg Yolk Bun wasn't as great. I haven't seen this bun in the UK, I've only had it in Hong Kong, sadly this version paled in comparison to the ones in Hong Kong and the skin was very lumpy. The Seaweed Rolls were unexpectedly nice with the seaweed tasting nice and crispy and the ingredients inside quite juicy. The Scallop Cheung Fun had a lot of scallops in it and tasted nice overall but it was slightly too lukewarm for me and was slightly too stiff. Finally the Ho Fun was good but nothing to write home about.

The food overall was decent, most of it was good but nothing was amazing. I don't know whether I'd come again in the near future not because the place isn't good but the Peninsula, Yi-Ban and Lotus edge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment