Monday 21 March 2011

Tennis ATP & WTA Week 10/11 Results (07/03/11)

DJOKOVIC WINS! Sorry, if you've read my previous posts you'll know that I'm a huge Djokovic fan, I've tried to tame down my favouritism these few months but the fact that Djokovic hasn't lost a single match this year and beat Federer and Nadal on the way to the title is beyond justifiable to act normal. Now as Djokovic has conquered the early hard court season he'll have to up his game for the clay courts which will proved more difficult to dominate. I hope this year Djokovic will finally be No.1 in the world. In other news I was amazed that Somdev Devvarman made Round 4, whilst arguably he had a simple route bar Baghdatis it was still quite an unexpected achievement. 

Another plus this week was Del Potro getting to the SFs. Del Porto is finally finding his footing, if he can come back to full form this year the tour will be at its most exciting stage for a long long time. In lesser news Querrey seems to be finding some form again after beating Tipsarevic and Verdasco. But the shocks of the top draw were Robin Soderling's loss and more so Andy Murray losing to Donald Young. I will undoubtedly support Murray but I'm not blinded by my support. I know Murray is still far from consistent enough to tackle the Top 3 and if he doesn't put his game up a notch he'll be staying at 5th for a long time. Wawrinka has really amazed me these past few weeks. For some unknown reason he has managed to find some extraordinary form. This week he beat Davydenko, Cilic and Berdych on the way to the QFs - an amazing feat considering the names he played against, possibly the most difficult draw to the QFs. Sadly he lost to compatriot Federer but I'll be intrigued as to what Wawrinka can achieve this year.

I'm still over the moon with Djokovic's win, if he can manage another slam this year I think people will finally realise it's no longer the Top 2 but the Top 3.

In the women's draw Wozniacki reigned supreme, it seems ages ago when I found the women's draw much more interesting than the mens but now the WTA is in severe form as Wozniacki is still not the player to lead the draws. Until she wins a slam and matures enough to beat players like Clijsters and the Williams sisters consistently I will just find her success premature. The draw is in dire need of a leading superstar, whilst Caroline, Kim and Vera provide a decent Top 3 I miss the days when Henin, Serena, Venus etc were challenging their limits. The top 8 in the game have changed so drastically in the past years that it seems almost alien, so much so that we haven't had time to develop a true liking for some of those players. We need the resurgence of Sharapova, the return of Serena and an injury free Clijsters to make the top of the tour interesting.

Anyway, the "former" teen draw did play out with Radwanska and Azarenka fighting it out to play against the Queen Bee "Wozniacki". It was a shame that Azarenka has to retire though. Safina seems to be finding hr way now after beating Hantuchova and Stosur but lost badly to Sharapova. Petrova also found some form though I have to argue she played a rather easy draw. Shuai Peng continued her surge beating Na Li and Petrova and narrowly losing to Sharapova. It has been a long time coming for Shuai Peng but it's lovely to see her finally prove her potential.

Great news for me was that Wickmayer made the SFs but sadly lost to Bartoli. However Wickmayer was really worrying me these past few months but she seems to b doing btter now in what I'd say was one of the most interesting sections of the draw with Kanepi, Dulko, Cibulkova and Zvonareva in her draw. In the last section of the draw we saw Clijster's retiring, which was a huge shame but we also saw Petkovic and Kvitova, two of the most in form players lose. Instead we saw a resurgence from Ivanovic, beating her compatriot Jelena Jankovic along the way. Will we finally be seeing Ivanovic back at the top? To be honest I hope not, Ivanovic is still to me one of the worst No.1's simply because she peaked too soon and thus that over-burnt her potential.

I can afford to be lazy again next week as we have another two week event at the Sony Ericsson Open, it should be an interesting tournament

No comments:

Post a Comment