Thursday 26 May 2011

Roland Garros 2011 - Day 5

The story of the day has got to be Kim Clijsters shock loss to Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands, no more fairytales for Kim like the US Open in 2009. Clijsters managed to make 65 unforced errors! I'm so ashamed I didn't get to watch this catastrophe. Sharapova nearly followed suit at 6-3,4-1 I think most would have written off Sharapova but then she won the next 11 games to get to the third round - yet again I wish I could have seen Caroline Garcia blow Sharapova out of the water for the first half of the match.

So what happens now on the women's draw? With Sharapova scraping through I think her favourite status isn't assured anymore Azarenka and Wozniacki are probably the main favourites now. Whilst British fans won't have a home girl to cheer for anymore as both got beaten today.

The men's draw hasn't suffered as badly but 8th seed Jurgen Melzer is out making Murray's job even easier as he won't even need to play a seed in the quarter-finals. Troicki/Dolgopolov could be a threat but realistically they shouldn't be a problem to a top 4 player.

More interestingly qualifier Antonio Veic beat Nikolay Davydenko, I thought he could be a danger, had no idea why but now we'll see what happens when he plays Nadal.

No comments:

Post a Comment