Friday 27 May 2011

Roland Garros 2011 - Day 6

What I love about this years Roland Garros is that there has been a steady rate of shock defeats. Berdych Day 2, Almagro Day 3, Clijsters Day 5 and now Wozniacki Day 6. You don't want all the best players out but it's always nice to have a shock or two in the early rounds - however harsh that might be to the seeded players. Today was particularly bad for the women's draw as Wozniacki and Stosur failed to make the 4th Round. Whilst I do like Wozniacki she really needs to step up her game in slams. I think to be No.1 in the world you really have to be consistently up there in the slams but Wozniacki has only made it to the SFs or further three times in her career, I just don't think that's good enough. I honestly wonder where she'll be at come Wimbledon because she's never made it to the QFs. Hantuchova deserved her win but she'll arguably face stiffer competition against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the next round. At the moment the top half of the draw looks dominated with more experienced players whilst the bottom half fresher faces, personally I prefer the bottom half. I just wonder who'll step up in the top half of the women's draw because I can see 6 of the 8 players listed there making the finals but all of them have been rather unpredictable this year. I think at this stage it looks like it'll be Kuznetsova Vs Bartoli and Zvonareva Vs Schiavone - 4 players I don't particularly prefer to watch in all honesty.

However Roland Garros made a huge error of judgement to put the Djokovic/DelPo match 4th on the Chatrier court which meant that the match had to be finished tomorrow, quite stupid really to have put such an important match last on the list. I can't even watch it tomorrow, which is a huge shame because it was one set apiece before they packed up for the day. I can't imagine how those on the Chatrier court felt when the match had to be moved to the Lenglen court.

I honestly hope Djokovic can prevail against Del Potro because it would be such a shame to see him lose before the finals and not make the record of most consecutive wins ever. I did however get to see the Wawrinka/Tsonga 4 hour madness. Wawrinka played amazingly towards the end of the match but Tsonga really should have got it when he was 2 sets 4-1 up, he possibly lost it because of pressure but I have no idea.  The dark horse of the tournament is definitely Ferrer at the moment but with Federer to look forward to and Monfils beforehand I'm not sure he's going to make it to the finals considering he is 11-0 against Federer (4-0 on clay). 

Tomorrow will probably be the most interesting day in terms of reviewing who will win the titles because most of the favourites are playing such as Djokovic, Nadal, Azarenka and Sharapova as well as a few outside favourites like Kvitova, Soderling and even Murray. Hopefully it'll be good news all round when I come back tomorrow evening to review the day to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment