Thursday 2 June 2011

Roland Garros 2011 - Day 11

Not much to say on the men's tour besides that the Top 4 seeds are all in the semis, how many times has that happened before? Though in all honesty I think Murray does not deserve to have produced his "best" result at Roland Garros for such average tennis he has played. I saw sections of his match against Chela and he was so inconsistent. The finals will probably be contested by Nadal and Djokovic but don't expect Federer to be all out yet, though I rate his chances lowly.

On the women's side we have a shock in that Na Li has made the SFs, after the Australian Open she went through a few problems but after firing her husband as coach she really has got back on track but in all honesty I thought Azarenka would win this in 3. Na Li is looking like she could make another grand slam final this year. But Maria Sharapova has definitely laid the law down by thrashing Andrea Petkovic 6-0,6-3. I came in at 1-0 in the second set and saw 6-0 and thought it was some technical glitch because Petkovic isn't a bad player. The Sharapova/Li match will be very exciting now because before this match from Sharapova I would have pipped Na Li as the favourite but now I think it's about equal. I honestly can't predict who'll make the final but I'm rooting for Sharapova and Na Li, I would hate to see Schiavone retain her title but it would be worse if Bartoli manages to make a shock. I do miss the old days when Roland Garros was a Grand Slam dominated by a single player, since Justine Henin Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and Schiavone have won the title so it's becoming quite an unpredictable Grand Slam. But I wonder what will happen at Wimbledon if the Williams don't recover in time, in the last 10 years they have won 8 of the titles. Will Sharapova win her 2nd Wimbledon, will Wozniacki make her first scalp at the slams or will Clijsters return triumphant?

I have limited knowledge on the doubles scene but the Bryan brothers are still in! They're not bad on clay it's just a shock to see some Americans. Whilst the women's doubles is particularly puzzling with an unseeded Czech pair facing the 7th seeds in the finals.

I've never been hugely into the Junior slams but we have a British player in the Boys singles QFs! Woohey! and he's the highest seed left! Go Oliver Golding win that slam! Whilst the girl's singles is full of seeds, most I have no idea of except for Daria Gavrilova, who I think has been a top junior for a long time and Monica Puig because I remember reading somewhere she'll be a future star and she grunts loudly. Oh and also Caroline Garcia who is playing strong. Back to the boys and Oliver Golding has a real chance of winning both the singles and doubles, I hope him well.

Just looking at the other draws, the women's wheelchair singles is dominated by Dutch players! All four semifinalists are Dutch! I only knew Esther Vergeer was hugely successfully but I didn't know that the Dutch were so good at wheelchair tennis and it looks like the women's doubles finals will also be an all Dutch affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment