Friday 14 August 2009

Tennis getting interesting again!

In the Rogers Cup history was made when all Top 8 Ranked players on the ATP tour made the quarterfinals! Gilles Simon, Gael Monfils, Fernando Gonzalez and Fernando Verdasco didn't manage to defeat their Top 8 opponents (in my opinion these 4 had the best chance of breaking the Top 8 thing). The draws are Federer Vs. Tsonga, Murray Vs. Davydenko, Roddick Vs. Djokovic, Nadal Vs. Del Potro, now here's my analysis.

Federer Vs. Tsonga
Sadly to say I don't see any possibility of a shock here. Tsonga will really need to be on his best form to beat Federer as Tsonga is still not a candidate to break into the Top 4. I do hope a shock occurs but I just don't see it happening as I find Tsonga's form normally dips in these middle months anyway.

Murray Vs. Davydenko
This match is actually in my opinion tighter than it sounds. Nikolay Davydenko has been experiencing somewhat of a revival in recent weeks and I can see a possibility of a shock especially since their head to head is tied however I still believe Murray has the upper hand. Though this match isn't 100% on Murray's side it may be enough to place a bet on Murray winning, just an opinion.

Roddick Vs. Djokovic
Instinct tells me Roddick will win this but instinct has proven me wrong quite a few times as well. However when you put into the equation that Roddick is 3-2 up against Djokovic and that both of their meetings this year Roddick won it may topple the odds for Roddick. However Roddick's results at Montreal haven't been at all that convincing whilst Djokovic has been doing well. On the other hand Roddick is becoming one of the most reliable top players, besides Roland Garros Roddick has managed to make the Quarterfinals or further in all his tournaments this year (8 times out of 11 he's managed to make it to the semifinals).

Del Potro Vs. Nadal
The most recent match Del Potro won but in their other 4 matches Nadal was the victor. At the moment I believe Del Potro actually has an upper hand. Retaining his title last week is going to give him a boost (and I doubt he''l be affected by fatigue) whilst Nadal has just come back from his absence.

On the other hand the women's draw has been totally different. Safina is still in the draw but it is Clijsters not Kuznetsova who meets her in the quarterfinals. It just goes to show how the ranks are all irrelevant on the WTA tour now - I wonder if Clijsters could win it? That would hit the tour hard - headline "Retired player beats all the new girls!"
I knew Venus had a high chance of losing to Flavia whilst I had an inkling feeling that Daniela Hantuchova would get to the Quarterfinals.
Elene Dementieva is continuing strongly also like she has been doing this year. Serena however shockingly lost to Sybille Bammer leaving that side of the draw wide open, Jelena now having a high chance of making the semis which she has only made 2 out of 13 times. An interesting final would be Clijsters Vs. Dementieva as I think Dementieva is currently at a much better form than Wozniacki, Jankovic or Bammer this would therefore allow us to see where Clijsters lies within the current ranking system, it's also quite possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment