Saturday 24 January 2009

Australian Open Week 1 Womens Review

On the womens side things may have been slightly more unpredictable with TWO non seeds in the 4th Round! And only TEN top 16 players! lol. But anyway my QF predictions have been less accurate here with Caroline Wozniacki, Agnieszka Radwanska and Venus Williams all losing before the 4th Round. This has left a gap of Jelena Dokic Vs. Alisa Kleybanova, Carla Suarez Navarro Vs. Anabel Medina Garrigues and Svetlana Kuznetsova Vs. Jie Zheng.
Remember my post about 4 British Women reaching the main draw, well when 3 of them lost in the first round I kind of wanted to bury my head in the sand but luckily Elena Baltacha managed to stop me from embarrasing myself - there's still hope for British Womens Tennis! Sadly however Maria Kirilenko lost to Sara Errani but at least she is still in the doubles with another of my favourite player Flavia Pennetta.
I guess the main shocks of the week were Venus Williams losing to Suarez Navarro and for me Agnieszka Radwanska losing to Kateryna Bondarenko (though Pennetta losing to Garrigues was another one of note because after Venus's departure I was betting on Pennetta for a QF match up against Dementieva).
Notice I haven't mentioned Ana Ivanovic, well I never expected her to reach far into the Slam, I still remember the days when I actually liked Ivanovic (because she was only ranked like 15 or something).
Well the 4th Round will see Jankovic Vs. Bartoli which I doubt Jankovic would lose in. Petrova will face Zvonareva - an interesting match I think. Dinara has an easier passage is she wanted to get to the semis; she'll play Cornet in the 4th and then either Dokic or Kleybanova in the QF - Australia must be ripping their hair out for Jelena Dokic!
Suarez Navarro will yet again play a Spaniard this time Medina Garrigues - a more difficult opponent I'd say. Though I think Elena should be fine in this environment (though she does have Dominka Cibulkova to play against next).
Svetlana, Jie Zheng and Victoria Azarenka are all sturdy players that are in Serena's draw - but anyway if the Top 4 don't make it into the Semis I think it would actually be a shock to me as I don't see any other possible semifinalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment