Friday 16 January 2009

Australian Open Women's Draw

Jankovic has Zvonareva keeping her company. Closer to home Ai Sugiyama could be her first worry but I think Jankovic should be able to fly past her. Melanie South's first opponent is Marion Bartoli; though I hope Bartoli was ousted by her I doubt that would happen, instead it looks like Bartoli will play Jankovic unless Lucie Safarova or Sybille Bammer have anything to say about that. But Safarova does seem to be playing better - but I doubt she'll do as well as she did in her "heyday".
Nadia seems to have lost her touch coming into 2009 whilst Agnes Szavay lost that ages ago so I'm not sure who would win out from their mini section. I guess Petrova would be a safer bet. Vera did do well at the Year Ending but I'm not sure if she'll be able to continue that into the Australian Open. I do hope Maria Kirilenko could perform.
Dinara will have Ana as company which basically solidifies my prediction that Jelena will be in the final. Though Dinara hasn't had a great record at the Aussies I don't think any shocks would occur before she reaches the quarters (though if Hantuchova is in form she could be a problem for any of these players; but I doubt she's in form). I do hope Anne Keothavong could do some damage as Anna Chakvetadze hasn't been doing well recently. Jelena Dokic would also be interesting to watch. Wozniacki Vs. Ivanovic could be interesting as they played each other last year - but Ivanovic is in way worse a form than last year round. Alisa Kleybanova could also be a one to watch in this draw.
Venus Williams and Elena Dementieva fill the next section. I think Elena is on too hot a form not to reach the quarters - but I have a feeling that she'll run out of gas if she were to face Venus Williams. But before that could happen we need to see the draw in between them. Personally I don't see any problem with Venus reaching the quarters (though I do hope Flavia could cause a shock!)
Whilst on Elena's side I absolutely don't see any possible shocks giving her current form but I guess Iveta Benesova maybe someone to watch out for.
Svetlana and Serena Williams make up the last quarter. Hopefully Nicole could do well in this draw as yet again I think she has a relatively easy one; until she reaches Svetlana Kuznetsova that is (4-0 match record isn't going to help). I'm expecting this part of the draw to be dominated by Agnieszka Radwanska though.
Mauresmo and Azarenka could be interesting - though Mauresmo has Olga Govortsova and Anna-Lena Groenefeld (most likely) to pass before a possible meet up with Azarenka. If Mauresmo does beat them all I doubt she'll have enough steam to see off Serena Williams who I think should fly past her draw - I'm only expecting a Top 10 seed to beat Serena here; though I do wish Dulko to do well.

Predicted Quarterfinal line up
Jelena Jankovic Vs. Vera Zvonareva (Just because I don't think anyone else in the draw is capable of getting to the quarters)
Dinara Safina Vs. Caroline Wozniacki
Venus Williams Vs. Elena Dementieva
Agnieszka Radwanksa Vs. Serena Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment