Sunday 11 January 2009

Miss Chinese International 2009 Part 1

Miss Chinese International has always been an important part of the start of the pageant calendar for me but this year I’ve found it particularly hard to find any substantial information on the contestants maybe because last years was such a disaster! But anyway I’m back, motivated to post about the pageant which is only a week away!
This year there are a whopping 28 contestants compared to below 20 of previous years. Quite a few netizens have bashed this years contestants but personally I think they are better than last years and a few actually stand out as possible winners.
Before I start talking about the contestants I highly recommend you to open http://www.geocities.com/chinesepageantpage/ before reading my post as you’ll know who I’m talking about then.
After looking through the limited resources I’ve got I can safely say my current Top 5 are
18. New York
24. Toronto
11. Jilin
25. Tubingen (Germany)
16. Montreal

These are the 5 that stand out to me, 3 of which are favourites in the Hong Kong press. There are also a few good alternatives just knocking the door on the Top 5 but I’ll talk about them later.

So why is New York my favourite at the moment? She stands an impressive 5’11; she wouldn’t look out of place even in an international event! If Edelweiss has actually entered we would have seen two of the tallest contestants ever on MCI – the battle of the giants! She has a stunning smile and beautiful posture which should aid her well (note I haven’t heard any of them speak so I don’t know there eloquence etc).

Toronto is the hot favourite of the Hong Kong public and I understand. A few days ago she was ranked at a respectable 4th for me but every new photo I’ve seen of her makes me like her even more. Her elegance and sweet smile are enough to take her to the Top 5 on top of that she won an award for being a good orator, so I guess she is the one to beat.

Jilin looks to be the cute/sassy Chinese girl who we see in countless Asian dramas. She is undeniably photogenic but when the camera isn’t just on her she looks somewhat average and a little awkward (as seen in the Top 7 selection in China). She isn’t deemed a favourite but I’ll like to see more of her (as I don’t want her to become like Vancouver last year where I was mesmerized by one of her photos but then her look changed 180 degrees for the following ones).

Tubingen is the European representative (honestly why don’t they send the Top 3 after Oceane won it last year!) My first thoughts of her back at the Miss Europe were slightly mixed but then seeing better shots of her I felt she was a contender for the title – though I doubt MCI will give it to Europe again I think with a good performance it would be outrageous if she doesn’t reach the Top 5.

Montreal stands out to me with her mixed heritage and charm but for some reason very few people agree with me on this. I personally don’t understand why because she has a good look, posture and smile so why not put her as a contender?

No comments:

Post a Comment