Friday 30 January 2009

Australian Open Women's Pre Final

Well besides Jelena's loss in R16 there weren't any shocks in Round 16 except for a few unexpected retirements. I was so happy that Vera Zvonareva put Marion Bartoli back into her place by beating her 6-3,6-0. The semifinal was expected besides the loss of Jelena because at one point I was seriously considering the Top 4 making the semis. I was worried about the Serena/Elena match but luckily Serena won - or it would have been an all Russian final!
Well the final now is Dinara Vs. Serena - which was probably what I wanted from the start; even better is that the winner will be ranked No.1 afterwards. I think Serena will win but lets hope that if she does win and get to the No.1 spot that she wouldn't lose the ranking in a few weeks time (like last time).
But I think I'm suffering from Vaidisova-withdrawl symptoms; I'm really missing her presence in the top echelons of the womens game. I need to see her back desperately! I can't even defend her against my friends who have never seen her potential.
Well anyway I was just looking at the Top 10 womens rankings and realised two things - first was how Jelena was like more than 1000 points away but she'll lose all of her lead when the winner emerges! Secondly; kind of silly really, but in the Top 11 players only Venus's name doesn't end in an A, just a thought.

Just a little side note on the other draws;
In the mens doubles the 2nd and 3rd seeds are in the final - hope the Bryan Borthers win!
Also congratulations to the William's sisters for winning the women's doubles - they are just so dominant whenever I focus on the women's doubles draw. It would be so great that two pairs of siblings won the doubles titles. If only Dinara Safina and Marat Safin were a good doubles pair for the mixed! But honestly how did nearly all the Top 8 seeds lose before the Quaters!
Haven't really focused on the mixed doubles because it is so unpredictable - the seeds never matter; only 1 seed was in the quaterfinals - just to note half of the seeds lost in the 1st round.
On the junior boys the No.1 seed is playing a guy I've never heard of - and has too long a name for me to pronounce.
The girls final will see Laura Robson play Ksenia Pervak - go Laura - do Great Britain proud!
Not really interested in the boys doubles but there is 3 Asian players in the final!
Whilst the girls doubles are even less interesting.
I never knew but the Wheelchair Doubles draws consist of only 4 teams - no disrespect but what's the point! What's evem more frustrating is that the Quad Wheelchair Doubles Draw consists of only 2 teams -and they're the same players from the singles! No wonder Peter Norfolk wins everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment