Friday 2 January 2009

Brisbane International (Men's Draw)

Last year the unseeded Michael Llodra broke through to win the tournament; one year on he finds himself back in Brisbane trying to recapture the title that begun his best year but to be honest I doubt he'll make it. The guy he beat last year; Jarkko Nieminen was 3rd seed but this yearhe lounges at 12th. It just goes to show how much stronger this years field is. The player headlining them is Novak Djokovic (my favourite player as of now) However he may face off against his recent nemesis Jo-Wilfred Tsonga in order to lift the trophy. Hopefully the likes of Tomas Berdych and Richard Gasquet will also be able to find the touch that they lost in 2008.
The tournament also featues a few of my favourite low ranking players like Mario Ancic and Robby Ginepri; hopefully they will do Ok in this tournament. Besides them there are also two youngsters I'm particularly interested in being Kei Nishikori and Bernard Tomic. I'm excited to see what they could produce as they are really growing on me and will probably make my favourites list when they become fully professional players. But what makes me happiest (and I'm sorry if I sound evil) is that Marcos Baghdatis starts so lowly in the draw - I never believed he could sustain his high ranking a few years back and this proves my point.
Hopefully we'll get a great final from this event because it has an interesting line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment