Monday 9 March 2009

American idol Group 3


I'm hoping this is a good show because currently I'm feeling cold about many of this years contestants.

Von Smith
You're All I Need to Get By - Marvin Gaye
He didn't sound like he was American because it sounded like he had an accent, in a way it was nonsensical, I didn't understand what he was singing. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good, just didn't work for me. It was a good vocal but the performance just didn't stick. I'm amazed the judges loved it so much - maybe I'm getting a bit bored as I'm watching this episode straight after the last two as I'm slowly losing interest of this season - I may just stop watching this season but I'll probably wait until the first show in order to see if there is any the talent!

Taylor Vaifanua
If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
Love her name! The vocals were slightly off at times and could have been improved but it was ok overall, it was slightly boring. It was an Ok performance but I didn't feel it.

Alex Wagner Trugman
I Guess That's why they call It the Blues - Elton John
I'm fearing this, Elton John isn't something you should go for. I'm totally confused about all the yelling, he tried to make it kind of rocky but it went dorky - which I think wasn't supposed to be the idea. He was just trying to be something that he wasn't in my opinion, you can be ambiguous but that was just crazy, it wasn't rock/blues/pop or anything.

Arianna Afsar
The Winner Takes it All - ABBA
There are so many 16-18 year old girls in this season I just hope she is slightly different.
It was a sweet performance, at times it was slightly squeaky and I can imagine that Simon is going to say "young girl singing old". The squeaks did affect the song but it was Ok. I'm quite shocked the judges hated this, it wasn't great but it wasn't that bad, maybe I'm a bit tired now but I thought it was Ok - I hate how the judges want young girls to sing young songs, they should but it shouldn't be exclusive to 16-18's, they should have the chance to sing big ballads as well but I do believe the show is significantly lacking in hip young girls singing Avril Lavigne/Rihanna/P!nk type songs.

Ju'not Joyner
Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
I liked the smooth vocals but it was a bit dreary at times, the start was much better in my opinion than the mid sections, it did get worse - the high notes were excrutiatingly painful but the mid ranges were quite good, I liked it but I didn't love it, he should have kept it smooth rather than trying to get a climax.

Kristen McNamara
Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
I've always liked her voice as it sounds so different from her speaking voice. I liked this performance but the arrangement was slightly too old. I like her grouchy tones as it gives her a slight edge but I think she should have chosen a different song because it didn't work as well as I hoped. I personally think she should have been in the Top 13 as she has a great voice and with some work she can do it.

Nathaniel Marshall
I'd Do Anything For Love - Meatloaf
It was just slightly too complicated for me - the transitions weren't smooth enough for me, it wasn't an awful performance but I didn't like the song choice or the arrangement actually.
I wouldn't be as harsh as Simon in actual fact I think Simon has been a bit harsh tonight, personally I don't think tonight has been as bad as the judges seem to put it compared to other nights - personally all 3 nights have been average to me.
I just don't understand why contestants chose to do things more current in Hollywood week but then go to older tunes in Top 36?

Felicia Barton
No One by Alicia Keys
I like that she chose something new but I personally think she was too huhnchy - is there a word for that? It was a bit huh (as in the sound that was coming from her mouth)- that's why I used huhnchy! I understand the song demands that but I think she overdid it - also how bored was her son!!!!!! She had some vocal problems but it was a good performance.

Scott MacIntyre
Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby and The Range
I like his personality and he definitely has talent but he needs a stylist - the hair just doesn't work for me! The thing I like about Scott is that he has a lot of soul in his vocals but I think he's stronger with his keyboard as there really is a strong connection when he plays the keyboard, the performance was ok but I wanted something different.

Kendall Beard
This One's for the Girls - Martina McBride
This is what I associate with country music.
It was Ok but it was forgettable, I liked her energy and her vocals were ok/good but I didn't really like the song. She did ok but if I was to chose I wouldn't really remember her. She doesn't seem 24 either; that's why Simon asked for her age really just to see if she was under 20.

Jorge Nunez
Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me - Elton John
Ooh another Elton John, I'm not sure if I would be too keen on this.
I like the vocals and this is something I want to hear if they choose something old. I wouldn't say it was a fantastic performance but it's definitely better than a lot of performances today or any day.

Lil Rounds
Be Without You - Mary J Blige
I'm anticipating a lot from her especially when she's singing Mary J Blige (oh,why do so many girls from this year have kids?) I'm not sure I love the arrangement but she definitely has the closest voice to what I'd normally listen to, the vocals were good but yet again I need to emphasize I didn't like the arrangement, though the performance on the whole was good and what a way to end the whole Top 36 process. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I'm an R'n'B person but she's definitely better than a lot of other contestants on the show.

Overall after watching all 36 I think there are a few special ones but it is only a "few"!

No comments:

Post a Comment