Friday 6 March 2009

On the MR Faze

Ok I recently found out about MR videos where the Kpop industry have somehow found videos of the artistes performances without the backing music, I was so excited cause this would really show how well these singers can sing because Kpop music seem to be masters at covering the faults of their artistes unlike their Cantopop counterparts which we regularly hear off key notes and singers losing their breath. After watching a few performances and scouring youtube my conclusion is that SNSD are better than Wonder Girls!!!!! If you've read my previous posts you would know I had a massive Gee craze a few weeks ago and it still hasn't really died off. I feared that watching an MR video would totally break my craze over them wary that many of these pop groups have less than desirable live vocals but I was pleasantly surprised, they were in fact quite good and held their ground, their youtube ratings also solidly my comment with most of their MR videos achieving 4-5 stars. On the other hand last years massively successful Wonder Girls fall desperately behind with most of their videos failing to make the mark. I don't dislike the Wonder Girls but I feel SNSD deserve more than the Wonder Girls but currently it seems SNSD are only riding on the Kpop wave rather than the international market which Wonder Girls have had a glimpse at. It just makes me question Wonder Girls break out success last year, I do like a few of their songs but to receive the success that they did last year is a bit much. But I do have to reiterate many of these MR videos are lacking in quality, ones such that there wasn't any sound for the last 1 minute or so, I think it would be better if their was a Korean TV Show which invited artistes to sing a cappella. It was also sad to see that Tae Goon wasn't a great live singer but I guess the video I saw was his debut.
I've basically been absorbed by the Kpop craze yet again after I had a detour to Jpop, personally I like Kpop because it's a smaller industry so I can keep up to date whilst in Jpop it's just one step away from the American market and I wouldn't imagine following closely on that!
But the SNSD craze is still going, late last year it was a Rain and DBSK faze so SNSD have kind of kept the baton going, hopefully Se7en and BoA could keep my interests up in Korean artistes though fighting off Utada and Ayumi could be tough - oh my god March is sooooo exciting!
I've been trying to make a Top songs list but I never get the time to go through my "archive" of songs - there are juuust too many! Maybe a favourite artistes list would be easier to compile and then I could go on from their to my favourite songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment