Monday 9 March 2009

American Idol


Sorry I've been REALLY late on this but I thought better late than never! Ok so I decided to watch from the 2nd episode of Hollywood Week right to the Wildcard Round in 2 days, so here is my commentary; be prepared for a marathon!

ooh before I go onto the Top 36 I just wanted to comment on the Kristen/Jen thing where Simon wanted to pick Jen. Well Simon just wants to get laid doesn't he, he just wants more eyecandy - not saying Jen is a bad singer, but Simon wants Jen because he could look at her more! This is really what happened with Ruth Lorenzo on X factor (though I loved Ruth Lorenzo - especially Purple Rain!)

First Group!

Jackie Tohn
A Little Less Conversation - Elvis Presley
I'm not liking the arrangement and what is she wearing. I love her personality but I'm not keen on the performance, she had the emotion and the entertainment factor but it was a bit rough around the edges.
I do agree with the judges that she is a performer but for me to like her more as a singer she needs to improve her vocals.

Ricky Braddy
A Song for You - Leon Russell
He seems to be a great guy, his vocals are good but I thought his song choice wasn't that great. I was slightly bored at the start but towards the middle he did well I thought.
I'm not sure I agree with Randy, Paula and Kara but I do think it was a good vocal performance on the whole but I agree with Simon he does need more charisma.

Alexis Grace
I Never Loved a Man - Aretha Franklin
Her style is a bit clashy but I liked her performance; it had the right mix to be interesting, however to me it felt she held back a little, to me I thought she wasn't as free as she could be.
I liked it but I'm not jumping up and down currently though I do believe she has good potential.

Brent Keith
Hick Town - Jason Aldean
I'm not knowledgeable about country to be honest because it's more of an American thing, but I didn't know country could be like this! To me, maybe I'm a bit stereotypical but I thought country was more the Kristy Lee Cook kinda thing. Though I'm pleasantly surprised that country can be slightly rockish I thought the performance was OK but not memorable.

Stevie Wright
You Belong to Me - Taylor Swift
I'm not a fan, it was inconsistent and it felt like she was trying to catch up to the song the whole time, I just didn't like the performance because it didn't show any talent.
I don't know much about her talents so I couldn't really agree or disagree with the judges but Simon was a bit too harsh this time around I thought. I don't like how they are saying she's young and stuff because their are so many young singers that can wow audiences of 1000's so you can't really say that she was caught by the nerves because she's young.

Anoop Desai
Angel of Mine - Monica
I wasn't really keen with the arrangement and to be honest it didn't really stand out. The performances tonight have been Ok but none have really made me go "wow need to watch out for him or her". I do think Anoop has potential but I'm not sure if the performance worked or matched his style.

Casey Carlson
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
The song just didn't work with her style or her vocals. Everything just didn't work it just sounded amateurish. The song didn't work, the arrangement didn't work, her voice didn't work, her style didn't work and her performance didn't work. It's a shame because if it wasn't only one chance I would have liked to see her more.

Michael Sarver
I Don't Want to Be -Gavin DeGraw
I liked the energy and his personality but I felt the vocals could have been more gritty or simply stronger. He just sounded slightly breathless and he didn't work the song enough. I like his personality though so I do want to see more of him.

Ann Marie Boskovich
A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
I'm not sure her vocals were enough to bring this song out, she sounded slightly off at times and I'm not liking many of the arrangements tonight as everything feels slightly cheesy and old. She just didn't work the song as this is a big song which only works for certain people and sadly she doesn't have that. I do like her personality though because she seems really real, however I can't keep using that excuse.

Steven Fowler
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
I still don't understand how someone who forgot the lyrics and didn't try to improvise could get to the Top 36 when some better singers went out e.g. Jamar Rogers.
It was just a bit held back, their wasn't enough soul/jazz in the vocals and it was just too up and down, the vocals didn't work and it was a little gimmicky for my liking. It wasn't good.

Tatiana Del Toro
Saving All My Love For You - Whitney Houston
Oh no Whitney Houston, this is not a good choice when you have Simon on board - you better work it girl. The loud sections were too screechy whilst there wasn't enough depth in the vocals. I also didn't feel it which I normally do when girls choose to sing Whitney. It just didn't work for me and I'm quite shocked she got an Ok review, it wasn't awful but for a Whitney song it just wasn't good enough.

Danny Gokey
Hero - Mariah Carey
Ok he better do this well because Hero is possibly my favourite Mariah Carey song - sad that even Mariah destroyed this in her recent album. There were moments where I felt it but on the whole it was too stiff and weirdly I didn't actually feel the emotion. I didn't like the arrangement either. Maybe it's an American thing but I didn't like it too much; I agree most with Simon and personally I think Paula, Kara and Randy were on drugs - I think Americans are too nice tbh.

The problem at the moment is that I can't pick a favourite or someone that stands out to me as of yet in Group 1.
Personally I was very dissapointed with this show as nothing stood out and instead the things that did stick out weren't great, I just don't understand why there wasn't even one performance I connected with.

No comments:

Post a Comment