Friday 13 March 2009

American Idol - Michael Jackson Week

Lil Rounds
The Way you Make Me Feel
She had good stage presence and she sang well, however I'm not sure she should have chosen that song seeing it is Michael Jackson week. It wasn't a WOW performance but it was a good, steady performance which I'd expect from Lil. Now that I think about it I did like how she put a spin on the song making it more bluesy as Randy said but I still think it was a bit plain.

Scott MacIntyre
Keep the faith
What the hell was he doing before the break! I was just wondering, how blind is he? He seems to have some vision as he does try to look at things at times e.g. when he's playing the piano. In a way I was slightly dissapointed, I didn't really see the point of the piano as we could barely hear it, in a way I felt they were just trying to sneak the piano in. The problem is I'm worried that once he is off the piano I may not have any interest in him. What the hell is Paula wearing! I really hope that this isn't his best as I wasn't jumping up and down.

Danny Gokey
P.Y.T.
Danny said something like that he may not have that much material possessions but his living room is full of material stuff, paintings and a huge TV!
Anyway I actually really liked the performance as he worked the stage well and he had a good vocal performance, but the sweat isn't that appealing, I'm a big sweater myself but I do try to hide it if necessary. This performance has definitely changed my opinion of him but I'm not sure I'll agree with Paula yet about him going straight to the final, he may be able to but I'm not going out of my way just yet. However is he capable of a multi million selling album, not yet - he's a David Cook - more of a performer less of a recording artist.

Michael Sarver
You're Not Alone
A good choice for him as it is his type of song, but next week I hope he tries to break away from that a bit as he'll start to become boring. The vocals were Ok but I hope he puts more emotion in his performances as it just felt like singing at home. If he wants to rely on only the song he needs to have great vocals, he has good ones but not great yet. Why does Paula always seem to be on the verge of tears?

Jasmine Murray
I'll Be there
It's so sad to see her leave (as I know who leaves already) but I expected it. Hopefully her performance was good, as I'm typing this as I'm watching her VT. Ok now that I see Jasmine's family TV that is what I'd expect from someone who says that they have very little material things, not Danny Gokey's huge TV!
It wasn't great but I didn't think it was bad. For that type of song she needed a bit more soul but as with Michael Sarvar I did think it was a bit too plain. She did well in my opinion but I hope she would have attempted something more her age as Simon said as she has sung a lot of big songs already. And it's so scary to see that she's younger than me, I'm so old now! Anyway why does she say she is 17 when I've seen her birth date as March 14th - tomorrow?

Kris Allen
Remember the time
I liked how he made it different and slightly more his thing. He also made it a bit more current which is what the show really needs and really why David Cook won last season as I find a lot of contestants sing very out of dately! Even balladeers sing modern nowadays so honestly they need to be more modern and Kris tries to do this with his music. The vocals were good in general and I loved how the arrangement was done as it was different to what American Idol has been recently.

Allison Iraheta
Give In To Me
I liked it but I didn't like the outfit! I think she may have overdid it on some parts but at some points I also feel she was caught up by the song. However I thought it was a good performance and it worked, her voice and her confidence match well and I really do like her.

Anoop Desai
Beat It
What was with the background! I'm just thinking where does he fit in the music industry? It was an Ok performance, his vocals were ok but the whole thing just sounded slightly premature, when it ended I thought - huh! did it just end. I wouldn't go as far as karaoke and light weight but it was definitely quite feathery, he didn't bring the rock in the song. In actual fact I remembered very little of it when I though back about it.

Jorge Nunez
Never Can Say Goodbye
I hate how they put subtitles on some people with accents even though they speak perfectly clearly! Kind of patronizing.
I didn't like the song choice or the arrangement as it was very cheesy and old. The singing wasn't that great either which is what I think Jorge's talents lie. I just wasn't really interested in it as it just sounded very clashy and cheesy.
As Kara said, I didn't feel it and he is normally quite emotionally connected.

Megan Joy
Rockin Robin
Better not use Corkrery anymore as she's only known as Megan Joy now.
I'm so excited about what she would produce as Megan and Michael Jackson seem to be in totally different worlds. In a way it's kind of disturbing she is divorced already when she's just 23. At the start I was thinking yeah, I'm liking this, but then after a minute or so I just felt that it was kind of plain. She did well though in general but it really didn't work as well as I hoped it would as it wasn't as different as I would have wanted. And as Randy said it didn't let her be herself enough.

Adam Lambert
Black or White
His voice just doesn't work for me but he undeniably has good vocals. I'm not sure the song choice was the best but I think he did well as he worked the stage. He did a good job in my opinion but he can never really be my favourite (as Paula does) as I just don't like his voice. So now Paula has given her opinon, a Danny Gokey/Adam Lambert final. I'm not sure he would be right on the top of the charts as his voice is just quite ET (not the film by the way), in a way awkward I think he's more a a theater guy.

Matt Giraud
Human Nature
I didn't like the end vocals as it just sounded slightly off to me, I think I liked the arrangement I'm not sure though. It was all very smooth which was good and what Matt Giraud is about. I wouldn't go as far as Randy saying Justin Timberlakeesque. I think this performance had the potential to be fantastic but it fell slightly flat. I liked it but I hope he smooths out his high notes as they kind of detracted from the whole performance.

Alexis Grace
Dirty Diana
I liked it, I think it was a good song choice but I would have loved if she tweaked her vocals a bit. The last note sounded a bit premature but overall it was a good performance but yeah it wasn't the best. I also realized that she is the only contestants without a wikipedia page, does it mean that she hasn't got enough fans?

My favourite performances of the night were probably:
Danny Gokey, Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta

Then the other performances kind of come in groups of 3
Alexis Grace, Lil Rounds and Matt Giraud are probably the next best 3 for me
Michael Sarver, Jasmine Murray and Megan Joy Corkrery the Ok 3
Scott MacIntyre, Anoop Desai and Jorge Nunez were the worst 3 I'd say.
Yeah you maybe slightly shocked I put Scott MacIntyre in but I just didn't feel the connection.

Anyway it was Jasmine and Jorge who left.

No comments:

Post a Comment