Tuesday 24 March 2009

Sony Ericsson Open

Yes, both the Williams sisters are in this tournament - that should make it a bit more predictable - I'd say you need a balance of shocks and predictable matches for a tournament to flow well.
Anyway Serena has two Chinese players Shuai Peng and Jie Zheng by her side as well as Alize Cornet - who lost in her first match at the BNP Paribas, if that is anything to go by Serena may have an easy road to the quaterfinals. She'll have Vera Zvonareva in her quarter to contend with. This could be a blessing or a curse, Vera could be hot off the heels from her victory last week or she could be so tired that she won't past the first week, could go either way as I doubt Vera has the strength or capability of winning back to back titles. Na Li and Nadia Petrova could be threats but both seem to be way past their prime. Jelena has Venus in her quarter, I doubt that Jelena will lost in the 2nd round again as Jelena is a fighter and she'll surely have had lots of rest since losing at BNP Paribas. Though I must say anyone in her draw could give her a shock if Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova could. Venus on the other hand may see Agnieszka Radwanska as I don't think there are that many threats in her draw.
Nicole is back in Alona Bondarenko's section - hopefully she will be able to emulate her victory from last week, if so she could face Svetlana Kuznetsova, who I believe is beatable even in Nicole's current form. I hate to say this but Marion Bartoli may be the biggest threat in this part of the draw. I think Elena will be like Jelena in that she'll get far in this tournament especially since I think her draw isn't all that difficult.
Ana Ivanovic and Dinara Safina fill up the last section. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Victoria Azarenka (both semifinalists last week) could meet each other in Round 2. Whilst Flavia Pennetta has Kateryna Bondareko and Amelie Mauresmo to watch out for.

I personally think it's pointless to try to predict the QF's anymore as there's always some shock player that suddenly breaks into form.

On the mens side all The Top 20 except for Nikolay Davydenko are playing again I doubt the winner will stray away from the Top 4 players; I just hope it won't be a Nadal back to back - as at the moment it seems like it's possible.
I'm not going to go into a analysis of the draw as I'm quite tired now and in fact I want to see what happens rather than try to predict it but two things I must say,
Hopefully Djokovic won't continue the losing streak against Tsonga as I want to see if he can beat Federer (unless they both go out before the semis). and
Roddick/ Tursunov/ Safin/ Monfils looks dreadful for me as I like all of them! Especially since Tommy Haas is also part of this section!

No comments:

Post a Comment