Wednesday 11 March 2009

Davis Cup 1st Round Reviews

Ok some shocks but most of the matches were predictable.
Argentina Vs. Netherlands
I regret not saying this would be a total whitewash, which it was. As my first opinion when I saw this draw was "how on earth are the Netherlands in World Group 1". I realized now why the team seemed so different from last year as most players I'd expect were annoyed with the team, but hopefully they'll return for the QFs.

Czech Republic Vs. France
I was in somewhat shock when I found out France had lost even with the "dream team" as they call it, but I guess the lack of experience in Davis Cup was the defining point. It once again goes to show that Davis Cup is a totally different event!

USA Vs. Switzerland
Federer seems to be feeling his age nowadays - I'm expecting by 2010 we may see the back of him being World No.2! Anyway I was expecting a 4-1 scoreline if not a 5-0!

Croatia Vs. Chile
Ok I was quite wrong in saying this would be tough I knew Croatia were going to win but I was expecting more of a 4-1 or 3-2 scoreline. However there was a change of team players so I guess it was expected.

Sweden Vs. Israel
Expected as Sweden has a much weaker team, but I was slightly shocked that all the singles matches went to 5 sets with 3 of the 4 being quite close in the final set as well.

Romania Vs. Russia
There was very little reason to doubt Russia wouldn't win this, yes I may have expressed some concerns beforehand but Russia always come out stronger in Davis Cup.

Germany Vs. Austria
As expected - but not on the doubles side!

Spain Vs. Serbia
Novak Djokovic's two losses was heart wrenching as yet again I'm seeing my favourite players going down the drain! Well at least the doubles team gave Serbia a win they deserved - if only Djokovic beat Ferrer at the start.

The Quaterfinals stages will see...
Czech Republic Vs. Argentina
Croatia Vs. USA
Israel Vs. Russia
Spain Vs. Germany

The Czechs seem to be playing well and Argentina have a massive dent in their team, however I'm going to stick with Argentina even if the Czechs seem to be on good form.

It will be absolutely stupid if Croatia didn't play USA on Clay, the biggest fault in the American team is that they can't play on clay - neither the male or female team can! I do understand that Croatia have beaten the US on hard but I doubt that would be possible this year so I'm expecting a clay tournament here.

Israel Vs. Russia should be a simple task for Russia to handle - nothing too strenuous.

Spain Vs. Germany will also be a one sided match with Spain for the victory.

Thet means my predicted semifinal will be...
Argentina Vs. Croatia
Russia Vs. Spain
...and at this rate it looks like Spain will win it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment