Friday 15 May 2009

Eurovision 2009 Second Semifinal

Personally I felt this semifinal was stronger than the first but anyway here's a bit of my commentary.

What the hell was the opening about! There were bears dancing! Well actually that seems to define Eurovision!
What did they do to Natalia's hair!

Croatia – Not a favourite to get through but he did feature on Oprah I think and I thought the entry wasn’t awful. Ok maybe I’m mistaken! The entry sounded bad at the start, it improved by the chorus but it just sounded like yelling half the time. It wasn’t as bad as I may have suggested but it wasn’t great (kind of boring).

Ireland – The stage was quite cool but I’m not sure if this is what Eurovision would warm to, I’m worried they won’t make the finals. The start wasn’t song that well but it got better, in fact this was placed quite well as it comes just after a very slow (relatively boring) entry, hopefully people will feel revived and therefore like this. I’m not saying I love this but I just want Ireland to do well! Lol. But I did like it.

Latvia – Ok this is boring, it’s not a song it’s not an entry it’s just random! It’s something you’d find in a bar at 3am – drunken guys singing! Well at least that has more energy – the random key and tempo changes just don’t work. There’s also no energy and the music is bad. It’s just RANDOM! I ditto the British presenter – it was a car crash.

Serbia – Oh why have they got an awful placing again, well at least we’ve got some of the worst out of the way. This is just random! I do think the chorus is quite catchy though, but I still dislike it. It’s just a joke that hasn’t gone far enough! They try to be jokey but you almost think they are trying to be sensible! Yet again a 3am pub song but not something you’d want to hear when you’re sober. But at least they didn’t open a random suitcase of money this time!

Poland – She comes badly in the list, after two really dreadful acts the audience must be half asleep. But the problem is she isn’t that great singer anyway. Her English is awful and she started off really shakily, she improved but I think she mutilated the song because it sounds like quite a nice ballad. She should have song in Polish because her accent was even harder to stand than Dima Bilan’s! But she did bring some good notes I guess, but the whole thing was just very inconsistent and shouty, that the high points were absolutely covered.

Norway – YEAH Norway! I hope this is good – lots of applause so people love it! I still love the music and he’s the best vocalist of the night in my opinion (well it’s only been like 6 acts or something). He just has a very magnetic charm about him and the song oozes that. What it benefits from is that it’s very active and danceable; it should appeal to a wide audience. It’s just a charming entry and if it does win it deserves it.

Cyprus – Well let’s see what this sounds like live. She sounded absolutely breathless, if it was deliberate then she really shouldn’t be a singer because that’s not good breathlessness that’s I have asthma breathlessness! Yet another song that was mutilated by the artiste, I really didn’t want to hear much more of her.

Slovakia – I like this entry as it’s very sensual and the singers are generally quite decent besides the really scary note that the female singer did early on; it came so suddenly my heart jumped out. It would have sounded better if the singers didn’t try to shout each other down! But it was still quite a nice performance. We are really hearing a lot of high notes tonight!

Denmark – It’s Ronan Keating! Just joking, but honestly he sings in such a similar style. He was a bit incomprehensible at the start but I still liked it especially the chorus (I rarely dislike a chorus!) Oh my god did they substitute an ape for their drummer! He was like twitching his mouth so many times! It’s a simple entry, it may not be the best but it’s a good finalist I believe.

Slovenia – I love instrumentals but I do agree that it may not be to the taste of everyone especially when it is a song contest. That may be the reason why they fail to make the finals but I still think it’s a good track. Hey the singer wasn’t singing in English! Well good for her! Don’t follow all the stupid rules. Oh she converted back to English. She’s actually one of the better vocalists of the night. Everyone is belting their lungs out tonight!

Hungary – I don’t like it! It’s just a mess! He’s a dancer not a singer. There are good parts in the song but then it just becomes awful. But again it’s the singer who mutilates the song. It looks and sounds like a workout video!

Azerbaijan – One of the favourites to make it in the Top 10. In my opinion it starts off well and I love the chorus but the inserting parts are average. I still like the energy and the singers aren’t awful – which is always a nice addition to Eurovision! Lol.

Greece – He looked like he was doing Tai Chi! I don’t love it as I knew but it was definitely energetic and the stage was intriguing, but I stick to my guns he looked like he was doing a fusion of dance and Tai Chi. He really didn’t sing that well either and one of the backup singers sounded like a robot. This track is all about the stage and the dance but it really doesn’t sound that good. I definitely would not be happy if they won but I understand why they could as they are Greece.

Lithuania – Finally something good! Well Ok not finally but I’m anticipating this. This is probably one of my favourite chorus’ of the competition. The singer isn’t fantastic but he does well enough compared to many other singers who have mutilated their song tonight, but there have also been a few that have done well.

Moldova – I loved the energy and the beat was actually quite nice! It’s not something that I would love but it’s something that I definitely could like. I just don’t know but this entry really does hit something with me, maybe it’s the energy, maybe it’s the beat I don’t know but I have to say I like it!

Albania – It just wasn’t good! The singing was average/subpar, the song was Ok but when you started to get in it, it became absolutely unbearable. I really couldn’t wait for it to finish. It wasn’t awful but everything was just subpar.

Ukraine – Despite some negative comments about Ukraine I still love it. What’s good about her is that her English is so accented that you can’t actually hear it so it’s fine! I also love the energy of this and her voice actually works really well with this song but in my opinion she sounds like she’s singing more in Russian than English – which is fine by me! She sings quite well, the performance was good and the music was good what else do you need on Eurovision!

Estonia – Something to calm us all down! She lost some of her haunting essence, her voice is still good but it’s less haunting and her look is less haunting as well. I still like it. It’s very grand the whole thing. I like it!

Netherlands – NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Please don’t put me through this! Ok the whole thing makes me sick already! Most of the Western European countries have stepped it up this year but the Netherlands obviously have not! Though I don’t remember what they had last year I doubt it could be any worse than this.

Funnily I hate the favourites like Malta and Greece! Well I don’t hate them but I think they are massively overrated. Malta just sounded very pitchy and Greece was just a dancing act.

I can’t wait for France! And Germany to a lesser extent, though I do like Spain and Russia. I would say United Kingdom but I’ve heard it quite a lot already. But honestly if we fail this year I really don’t see how we could possibly do well ever again! It’s not whether the song is good but we put so much more effort this year by putting Andrew Lloyd Webber on the line.

Wow Croatia got in, it was Ok but slightly boring. Albania hey! Erm slightly shocked. Oh my god there are 4 left and Norway, Estonia and Denmark are still left ungiven. Wow they are leaving it quite late if they want Norway or Greece going through. I HOPE Greece doesn’t make it through, that would make my day! Boo they did give it to Greece. I knew Slovakia and Slovenia wouldn’t make it even though I liked them, Ireland I thought could get in but I was worried for them as well.

Funnily I hate the favourites like Malta and Greece! Well I don’t hate them but I think they are massively overrated. Malta just sounded very pitchy and Greece was just a dancing act.

I can’t wait for France! And Germany to a lesser extent, though I do like Spain and Russia. I would say United Kingdom but I’ve heard it quite a lot already. But honestly if we fail this year I really don’t see how we could possibly do well ever again! It’s not whether the song is good but we put so much more effort this year by putting Andrew Lloyd Webber on the line.

Wow Croatia got in, it was Ok but slightly boring. Albania hey! Erm slightly shocked. Oh my god there are 4 left and Norway, Estonia and Denmark are still left ungiven. WOW THEY ARE LEAVING IT QUITE LATE IF THEY WANT Norway or Greece going through. I HOPE Greece doesn’t make it through, that would make my day! Boo they did give it to Greece. I knew Slovakia and Slovenia wouldn’t make it even though I liked them, Ireland I thought could get in but I was worried for them as well.

So in the end I decided on a top ten and they were

Norway

Ukraine

Azerbaijan

Estonia

Moldova

Lithuania

Slovakia

Slovenia

Denmark

Ireland

Yep I put Moldova in and closed Greece out! Can't wait for the Finals on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment