Monday 4 May 2009

Eurovision Moscow 2009

Eurovision - my "little" commentary

I've already listened to most of the entries but I thought I'd update myself with all 42 at once! Don't know why as I'm actually quite busy! Well it's Eurovision. My Top 11! Yep 11 are accompanied by photos

Moldova - Nelly Ciobanu - Hora Din Moldova
The MV is utterly ridiculous! There are awkward MV's but this MV is awkward and also awfully made! However I do like the music! Weirdly! It just brings a very eastern european vibe about it and is very energetic, if they had created a better MV this would have actually been a good watch.

Czech Republic - Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale
Some of the times I get the joke after seeing the performance a few times but with Gipsy.cz I really don't! It's an awful song, an awful performance and an awful vocal. It's just ridiculous - well at least this year we have very very few of these stupid entries!

Poland - Lidia Kopania - I Don't Wanna Leave
I think this was one of the few that I actually haven't heard of. I wish she didn't sing in English though! I'm sure it would sound more heartfelt if she sang in Polish. At the moment it's a nice little ballad but I don't feel connected to it - lets just hope the live performance blows me away.



Ukraine - Svetlana Loboda - Be My Valentine (Anti Crisis Girl)
The MV is a little X Rated! lol! But I like this! Maybe because I'm so infatuated by Kpop at the moment and I can really imagine Lee Hyori singing this (even though she doesn't sing anything like this!). I think she totally continues the momentum from Ani Lorak.

Slovakia - Kamil Mikulcik & Nela Pociskova - Let' Tmou
I think this a decent tune sadly the quality of the video is lacking. It has enough high notes to fulfill the ear and hopefully on the night this will sound good as so many times the MV sounds good but the live performance lets me down on ballads.



Norway - Alexander Rybak - Fairytale
The absolute favourite by British bookies and I really do understand the reason! Alex has talent and his vocals are really heartfelt, he also connects well with the audience and is a definite crowd pleaser. This may not be the best composition but the whole performance is enough to lift Alex to the top spot, even I'm a little in love with this!

Albania - Kejsi Tola - Carry Me In Your Dreams
This song is a little confused, it doesn't really fit a genre. It has somewhat of a dance beat (and the psychedlic colours in the MV) but then it sounds like it should be a ballad, or maybe it's fusion pop, I just don't know! I think this could either absolutely flop at Eurovision or be a a small hit. But for me this is just too all over the place.

Spain - Soraya - La Noche Es Para Mi
First time I'm listening to Spain's entry.! I like the mediterrean tune but it feels like I've heard it all before. It's a good little track but it really doesn't stick out to me.

Greece - Sakis Rouvas - This is Our Night
Another favourite by the British bookies to win, I'm not sure I like this as much as Alex Rybak's Fairytale but it definitely has a strong Eurovision vibe to it, this is one of the tracks that you know will do well at Eurovision and it just sounds like Eurovision! I can really see this winning but I wouldn't go into predicting a winner but I understand why this is a favourite - even though I don't love this.

Azerbaijan - Aysel & Arash - Always
Ok it sounded like a Sean Paul song at the start (when he sang the ohs)! (Maybe Sean Paul, don't know). It's an Ok track, it has a good beat but the verses aren't that interesting. The chorus is what gives me the vibe but the verses just don't click. But this is a mild favourite maybe I'd get to like it more, at the moment it's Ok.

Hungary - Zoli Adok - Dance With Me
Another ridiculous MV! There are moments of goodness in this track but then there are times when in just verges onto boring. But this type of track is just what doesn't work on the Eurovision stage.

Iceland - Yohanna - Is It True
It's a simple little ballad but it takes too long to reach a climax. I think I maybe too nice to this as I personally love ballads! But this ballad is somewhat average as the build up is boring, the climax is always what you wait for but this track doesn't interest you until the climax is reached and the key changes just don't work for me.



France - Patricia Kaas - Et S'll Fallait Le Faire
This sounds nice but with the current direction of Eurovision I doubt this would win. However I like how heartfelt Patricia Kaas sings, even though I don't understand it fully it sounds really touching and emotional. The music is also very sweet, however the ending sounds a little abrupt. It's a little gem.



United Kingdom - Jade - It's My Time
I have always been skeptical about this track but seeing that it's Andrew Lloyd Webber I didn't say anything but listening to this again I'm just a bit worried. I think there are great bits about this track but also some really awkward bits. However Jade performs this fantastically so hopefully we'll make the Top 10 this year or I really don't see how we'll ever make it back into the Top 10.



Finland - Waldo's People - Lose Control
I like this track but the MV is as always absolutely ridiculous! Well it's Eurovision! However I sense this track will continue where Iceland left off last year, a good dance track which was utterly forgotten by the voting public. Anyway whatever people say about this I still like it.



Germany - Alex Swings, Oscar Sings! Miss Kiss Kiss Bang
I normally like the German entry even though it may be a load of bollocks but I honestly do like this and believe others will too! I always trust Germany to bring something slightly un-Eurovision to Eurovision and they have but there's definitely more of an Eurovision vibe in this track than the past few.

Netherlands - The Toppers - Shine
What truely baffles me is that this track is actually supposed to be sensible! The three guys really shouldn't do this type of pop track because it just looks ridiculous to me! The MV is possibly one of the worst, the music isn't awful but it's very corny and cheesy - it sounds like a pop prayer!

Latvia - Intars Busulis - Probka
I don't like this, I don't have a consise description of why but all I can say is the song sounds like word vomit! It just sounds like a guy trying to sing the phonebook to me! The changes are awkward and I really would be amazed if this makes it past the semi final stages. It just bored me so much that I skipped the final 30 seconds of it!



Estonia - Urban Symphony - Randajad
I love songs that have a strong instrumental track running through, the whole thing is very haunting and that's one of the reasons why I like it. It does get a bit repetitive towards the end but I still like it.



Sweden - Malena Ernman - La Voix
I am all praise for this, in any other event pop mixed with opera would sound absolutely ridiculous but in Eurovision it is perfect! It just sums up Eurovision! I love it! This track just can't be described with words!

Montenegro - Andrea Demirovic - Just Get Out of My Life
The MV is so camp that I can choke from it! Normally fabulous divas and half naked guys work fantastically at Eurovision but at the moment I'm not seeing it. However I think the track itself is quite good and I think the live performance will be better that this erm... MV (I wanted to call it a strip show because that is really what it looked like to me!). Also why are so many MV's using the spotlight background idea?

Ireland - Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et Cetera
I like this but it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with Eurovision. I like how they brought something a bit different to Eurovision but I don't know it does get a bit lost towards the end. I'm hoping this would be good live.

Russia - Anastasia Prikhodko - Mamo
The quality of the video was quite average which may be the reason why it didn't feel that connected. I'm not sure but at the moment it doesn't interest me that much, it sounds OK but I do need to see a better quality version of this. The singer looks like she belongs in a mental institue tbh!

Switzerland - Lovebugs - The Highest Heights
The start was promising but I think the vocals could have fitted better with the track. It has moments of excellence and moments of averageness but I think it's a nice addition to this years Eurovision - which, as a side note, I think is the best Eurovision of recent years.

Portugal - Flor-de-lis - Toda As Ruas Do Amor
Last year Vania Fernandes performed amazingly even though her track was a little weird this year I find Portugal's entry to be Ok. It's a simple tune which works well in the myriad of madness! I like the folk style of it and the singer does well with it.

Slovenia - Quartissimo feat. Martina - Love Symphony
I love the strings! As I said I love tracks which have strings! However the sudden changes do aggrevate me a bit and this really isn't a song! It sounds like that they just added the vocals to get this into Eurovision! In fact I would have liked the track without the vocals as the vocals just sound off and the lyrics don't connect. I guess the climax in the vocals were good.

Serbia - Marko Kon & Milaan - Cipela
No not another one! Why does the guy have a ridiculous blonge afro! I like the chorus but the other parts of the song I'd rather do without. But honestly there's always these types of tracks. A random guy, a female dancer, an insturmentalist and a few random backup dancers! and what's with the cash at the end! It's just repetitive and not amusing in my opinion.



Armenia - Inga & Anush - Jan Jan
The lights are back! This must be the third or fourth time! I guess Eastern Europe have catched on to the trend which the US started I think. Besides the yet again ridiculous MV I actually really like this track as it is catchy, has a Eastern European vibe about it and is danceable! Jan Jan to you too!



Lithuania - Sasha Son - Love
Ok I always fall for these types of songs! I love the chorus but the verses could be better. It just sounds very heartfelt and touching. Hopefully in the live performance it would be emotional as that was the only thing that was lacking in my opinion for these kind of songs.

Belgium - Copycat - Copycat
I was reluctant to click on this video because I've already seen this three times already! The first time it was somewhat acceptable but by the second/third time it was just awful! I don't think I can stand looking at this MV! I think Elvis would be crying in his grave from this! If I was Elvis I'd personally go to Moscow and batter the singer to shreds!

Belarus - Petr Elfimov - Eyes That Never Lie
The guy doesn't connect with the audience like a rocker should I think. I also hate the ascent! One reason I didn't like Dima Bilan as much as I probably should have was because he had an awful ascent (and maybe because he's not a singer but a performer!) Just sing in Belarussian please, or Russian as your in Moscow! However after all that battering I think this is an Ok track, lol!

Malta - Chiara - What If We
I don't like the song but I think Chiara performs well, I just hope she had a better song as "What If We" is just a generic song gone awry! But Chiara please don't wink at the end of the song! Simon Cowell has already slaughtered it.

Cyprus - Christina Metaxa - Firefly
There seems to be a lot of females this year. But I do have to say there are definitely many more songs I like this year than ones I don't like! Lets get back to this song. Another random MV but I think this track is OK. I don't really want to put this in the average list but I think it doesn't fit in my OK list either. It could have been a great song but I fear that the start mutilated it a bit.

Bosnia & Herzegovina - Regina - Bistra Voda
Yes, Bosnia & Herzegovina didn't send Laka Part 2. I would have absolutely strangled myself if they did! I do like this track as it has a very gritty vocal but this song lacks a climax which would have brough it up in my opinion. But I'd like to see this live.



Denmark - Brinck - Believe Again
Ok this spells Ronan Keating all over! lol. I like this though! It's a sweet piece and Brinck has vocals which fit well with this song. Not a winning track but a nice addition I'd say.

FYR Macedonia - Next Time - Neshto Shto Ke Ostan
I think this is ok, I don't understand the hatred coming from all the bookies. I don't see this doing well at Eurovision but I just like this track - well it's not much saying I like it as I basically like everything this year! As of now I've labelled less than 10 tracks as average. I guess the unnecessary sound effects do aggrevate me but I doubt they would be added in the live performance, the ending is also awful but anyway I'm going to put this as an Average! Yep sudden change - don't know why! Maybe I've got too many in my Ok's

Bulgaria - Krassimir Avramov - Illusion
Another ridiculous MV. But personally I don't really like this track, it just sounds very awkward. The falsetto is just a weird addition and the whole thing just looks creepily bad! It's just disturbingly awful! I guess Czech Republic is not alone in the hate section, good one Bulgaria you're a hero to the Czechs!

Israel - Noa & Mira Awad - There Must Be Another Way
I don't like the sudden change in mood of this track but I like how this is a truly vocal piece. However it doesn't have any high points in my opinion and like last year I think it sounds somewhat like a prayer. Like with Cyprus I don't want to put it in my Averages but it doesn't fit in my Ok's so I'll make a new section called middling group. It's also a bit repetitive, just thought I add that in.

Andorra - Susanne Georgi - Get a Life
I'm totally amazed she had her feat in Japan! Seeing that Japan is the second biggest country in the music industry and normally there are one or two foreign acts that get fantastic sales. Anyway it's an Ok track but definitely not a winning piece in any way.

Croatia - Igor Cukrov feat. Andrea - Lijepa Tena
It really doesn't stand out until the chorus which will hurt it's chances. It's also one of those tracks which I know will bore me if it comes in as the 15th or later act! The MV is quite interesting though which is a shame as it's not an awful track but it just doesn't stand out.

Turkey - Hadise - Dum Tek Tek
Another favourite of the British bookies but out of the three British favourites I think this is the one I like the least. Unlike Kalomira (which is what I'm going to compare her to) she doesn't have that energy and the song is very plain to me. The Dum Tek Tek is the highlight of the song but the other parts of the song just don't interest me at all. Maybe this would sound better live I don't know because I do have to say the video quality is average.

Romania - Elena - The Balkan Girls
Oh my god I want to celebrate! I made it through the 42!!!!!! This track doesn't interest me sadly! It sounds like it wants to be everything good but it fails in most aspects, it lacks energy, it lacks pop if it wants to be pop, it lacks r'n'b if it wants to be r'n'b. I'm just confused. The strong accent also annoys me.

and to name a shame! I have 5 entries that I dislike and hate! They are...
Netherlands, Latvia, Belgium, Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, this year there are so many good entries! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete