Friday 1 May 2009

TVB - the last straw

No, before anyone asks this is not a new proposed drama by TVB, no I do not have inside information! This is just the title for an endlessly bored and tired viewer! As a BBC (British Born Chinese NOT as I emphasize British Broadcasting Corporation!) I grew up with TVB as a child TVB was what I lived with, though I've forgotten a lot of the series some have definitely stuck with me. But currently TVB has failed to impress me simply because I've seen it all! For the past 4 months I've found myself watching bits and bobs of every series, I've actually not watched a single TVB series from start to finish - a first for me! Maybe I've grown out of TVB, I don't know, but currently I just can't keep my attention up. I have actually never realised this but I rarely feel "the void" when I finish a TVB series but I regularly feel "the void" after watching a Korean or Japanese drama. I just find having to trail through the endless predictable plots to be somewhat of a hassle nowadays. What TVB lacks is a simple drama that has great character development. If a drama is simple it's normally a low budget write off, whilst if a drama tries to develop characters it's normally a huge cast and huge series which ends abruptly. I've yet to hit the goldmine this year, last year "Catch Me Now" managed to sustain my attention to the HK scene and of course the promise of The Gem Of Life (which was a slog but I got through it) and Moonlight Resonance (which was overrated but an OK series), however Pages Of Treasure, Sweetness in the Salt, Greatness of a Hero and The Gem of Life have all failed to keep my attention. Pages of Treasure was just there! Something you watch without thinking really - it's just on TV and the TV's on all day at my house! I skipped so much of Sweetness in the Salt that I found myself lost in the plot and tbh it didn't interest me that much anyway. Greatness of a Hero tried to be great but it fell flat, not an awful drama but when you try to reach the heights of War and Beauty you normally fall flat. The endless promotion of Wayne Lai is also effecting my mood! He's a good actor but I liked him more when he was less known as now he's overrated. Seeing him in Off Peddar, Pages of Treasure, Greatness of a Hero is enough for 4 months. The promise of him in Rosy Business is enough to put me off the series (if not before I strangle myself from watching Suki Tsui!) but honestly Sheren Tang had to enlist herself into this didn't she! If not I would have boycotted this series in a heartbeat! Sunny Chan also! Greatness of A Hero, then The Winter Melon Tale, which is coming up and the promise of Just Love II.
Overall series have been plain for me, no cast or series has interested me as such. I find the lack of "TVB favourites" to be somewhat unusual by May, hopefully Just Love II, Superwoman, His True Father (an interesting plot), Beyond the Realm of Conscience and the end of EU won't dissapoint me. I haven't added Born Rich as I think theres just too many veterans whilst I think Burning Flame III will flop as I bet you it would be less gritty. But looking at wikipedia's proposed series have sparked my interest - maybe the long slog this year will leave me revitalized next year when a hit drama is released. Here are a few.

Shadow Eight Warriors - Vanness Wu and Choi Si Won! I'm on board! lol hopefully TVB and Xiamen Media Group will add some Hong Kong and Japanese actors in it too to make it so diverse that it becomes the hot drama of Asia next year! lol
The Queen of the Office - I'm not sure if this is the sitcom I've been hearing about but Liza Wang, Ron Ng, Linda Chung and the possibility of Raymond Lam and Tavia Yeung in a sitcom makes my mouth drool! Lollol
Raymond et Tavia series - what else do I have to say!

2 comments:

  1. Maiden's Vow, Heart of Greed, Forensic Heroes, Forensic Heroes 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these recommended series? I do agree I liked Maiden's Vow and Heart of Greed was fantastic (in my opinion better than Moonlight Resonance). I remember I liked Forensic Heroes but Forensic Heroes II was only Ok for me. But as I've said I've yet to hit the goldmine for this year.

    ReplyDelete